BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 1x 1.8kg chicken Free range
- 1x spring onion
- 1x clove garlic
- 1x star anise
- 1 can beer
- ¼ cup light soy
- 2 tbsp dark soy
- 2x star anise
- 1x cinnamon stick
- 6 slices ginger
- ½ tspn Sichuan pepper
- 25ml Chinese rice wine
- 50g sugar or glucose
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the spices and set aside.
- Hold the chicken by the neck over a bowl and use a ladle to pour the hot glaze over it. Place the chicken on a wire rack and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process three more times. Ensure the chicken skin is evenly coloured; it will tighten and take on a well-tanned appearance.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for 3 hours before cooking, leaving it on the rack to dry out.
- Heat your barbecue for indirect cooking or preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Push the spring onion, garlic and star anise into the opened can of beer.
- Place the can of beer in your beer-can chicken stand, then push the chicken onto the can of beer. Place the chicken and can on a tray and cook in the barbecue or oven for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the barbecue to cool to 180°C degrees. This can be achieved quickly by opening the lid and turning the gas down.
The Big Green Egg allows you to close off the airflow to lower the temperature. If you’re using a conventional oven, reduce the heat to 180°C. Cook the chicken for another hour.
- When cooked, cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- To make a gravy, combine the juices from the chicken with a little glaze mixture and sesame oil.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...