BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 1x 1.8kg chicken Free range
- 1x spring onion
- 1x clove garlic
- 1x star anise
- 1 can beer
- ¼ cup light soy
- 2 tbsp dark soy
- 2x star anise
- 1x cinnamon stick
- 6 slices ginger
- ½ tspn Sichuan pepper
- 25ml Chinese rice wine
- 50g sugar or glucose
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the spices and set aside.
- Hold the chicken by the neck over a bowl and use a ladle to pour the hot glaze over it. Place the chicken on a wire rack and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process three more times. Ensure the chicken skin is evenly coloured; it will tighten and take on a well-tanned appearance.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for 3 hours before cooking, leaving it on the rack to dry out.
- Heat your barbecue for indirect cooking or preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Push the spring onion, garlic and star anise into the opened can of beer.
- Place the can of beer in your beer-can chicken stand, then push the chicken onto the can of beer. Place the chicken and can on a tray and cook in the barbecue or oven for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the barbecue to cool to 180°C degrees. This can be achieved quickly by opening the lid and turning the gas down.
The Big Green Egg allows you to close off the airflow to lower the temperature. If you’re using a conventional oven, reduce the heat to 180°C. Cook the chicken for another hour.
- When cooked, cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- To make a gravy, combine the juices from the chicken with a little glaze mixture and sesame oil.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...