BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 1x 1.8kg chicken Free range
- 1x spring onion
- 1x clove garlic
- 1x star anise
- 1 can beer
- ¼ cup light soy
- 2 tbsp dark soy
- 2x star anise
- 1x cinnamon stick
- 6 slices ginger
- ½ tspn Sichuan pepper
- 25ml Chinese rice wine
- 50g sugar or glucose
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the spices and set aside.
- Hold the chicken by the neck over a bowl and use a ladle to pour the hot glaze over it. Place the chicken on a wire rack and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process three more times. Ensure the chicken skin is evenly coloured; it will tighten and take on a well-tanned appearance.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for 3 hours before cooking, leaving it on the rack to dry out.
- Heat your barbecue for indirect cooking or preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Push the spring onion, garlic and star anise into the opened can of beer.
- Place the can of beer in your beer-can chicken stand, then push the chicken onto the can of beer. Place the chicken and can on a tray and cook in the barbecue or oven for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the barbecue to cool to 180°C degrees. This can be achieved quickly by opening the lid and turning the gas down.
The Big Green Egg allows you to close off the airflow to lower the temperature. If you’re using a conventional oven, reduce the heat to 180°C. Cook the chicken for another hour.
- When cooked, cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- To make a gravy, combine the juices from the chicken with a little glaze mixture and sesame oil.
Ingredients: 1 1⁄2 kg round steak, cleaned and cut into cubes 3 cans of roma tomatoes, crushed by hand 1 onion, finely diced 2-3 cloves of garlic 1⁄2 cup of olive oil, plus an additional 2 tbsp 1tbsp red wine vinegar 1L water or chicken stock (optional) 1tbsp tomato...
Ingredients: 1.5 kg green beans 3 potatoes 1 can of crushed tomatoes 1 tbsp tomato paste 2 onions, chopped 1 cup of olive oil 3 cups of Massel stock 1 cup of parsley finely chopped 1 tbsp sweet paprika Salt Pepper Method: Slice the tops off the green beans and string...
Ingredients: 500gm macaroni pasta 1 cup diced tomato Cheese sauce 500g monterey jack cheese 500ml cream 500ml milk 160gm butter 100gm flour 500ml beer Chilli flakes Salt and pepper 3/4 cup bread crumbs 2 tbsp melted butter 2 spring onion finely sliced Method: Cheese...
Ingredients: Serves 4 Hummus 1 Australian beetroot 4 Australian chestnuts 1 tin chickpeas 2 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Freshly squeezed juice from 1 ½ Australian lemons 1 clove Australian garlic 2 tbsp unhulled tahini ½ tsp cumin Pinch sea salt Cracked...
Ingredients: 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks 4 cups cornflakes 100g parmesan, finely grated 1 cup plain flour 1 egg 200ml milk 100g butter 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil 12 sage leaves 8 anchovy fillets Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish Salsa 1 large red capsicum 2 ripe...
Ingredients: Ribeye steak Salt Pepper 100g butter, softened 1 orange, zest 1 tsp thyme 50g hazelnuts, roasted 80g Blue cheese Method: Liberally season your steak with salt and pepper and cook to your liking, turning regularly. Rest for half of the cook time. Combine...