BBQ ChickenBen O'Donoghue
- 1x 1.8kg chicken Free range
- 1x spring onion
- 1x clove garlic
- 1x star anise
- 1 can beer
- ¼ cup light soy
- 2 tbsp dark soy
- 2x star anise
- 1x cinnamon stick
- 6 slices ginger
- ½ tspn Sichuan pepper
- 25ml Chinese rice wine
- 50g sugar or glucose
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- To make the glaze, combine the ingredients in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the spices and set aside.
- Hold the chicken by the neck over a bowl and use a ladle to pour the hot glaze over it. Place the chicken on a wire rack and leave to dry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this process three more times. Ensure the chicken skin is evenly coloured; it will tighten and take on a well-tanned appearance.
- Place the chicken in the fridge for 3 hours before cooking, leaving it on the rack to dry out.
- Heat your barbecue for indirect cooking or preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Push the spring onion, garlic and star anise into the opened can of beer.
- Place the can of beer in your beer-can chicken stand, then push the chicken onto the can of beer. Place the chicken and can on a tray and cook in the barbecue or oven for about 30 minutes.
- Allow the barbecue to cool to 180°C degrees. This can be achieved quickly by opening the lid and turning the gas down.
The Big Green Egg allows you to close off the airflow to lower the temperature. If you’re using a conventional oven, reduce the heat to 180°C. Cook the chicken for another hour.
- When cooked, cover with foil and leave to rest for 30 minutes before serving.
- To make a gravy, combine the juices from the chicken with a little glaze mixture and sesame oil.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...