Mixed Berry PancakeBen O'Donoghue
- 1 cup Laucke plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 40g butter crème fraîche
- 250 g smooth ricotta
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Honey, to taste
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Sprigs of mint,
- Icing sugar, sifted
- To make the crepe batter, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Whisk the eggs and milk together in a separate bowl. Make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly add the milk and egg mixture, whisking continuously to bring the flour and liquid together to form a smooth pouring cream consistency.
- Set aside to rest for an hour or so (this can also be done the night before).
- Combine the ricotta filling ingredients. The amount of honey you use is up to you; I like it just sweet. Set aside.
- Place the mixed berries and icing sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes, then allow to cool.
- Gently heat a non-stick frying pan or crepe pan. Using a brush or some paper towel, lightly butter the surface of the pan. Add 3 tablespoons crepe batter to the pan, quickly swirling it around to ensure a thin, even coating of batter.
- Ideally, the crepe should be thin enough to see your hand through when you hold it up.
- Cook the crepe on one side for 2–3 minutes, then, using a palette knife, turn it over and cook for a further 1–2 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cook the crepes in batches, making two crepes per serve and keeping them warm under a folded tea towel.
- To serve, place a spoonful of the ricotta mixture in the middle of each crepe and spread it around a little. Fold the crepes in half, then in half again and place them on serving plates. Spoon the berries and sauce over the top and finish with a dollop of crème fraîche, a sprig of mint and a dusting of icing
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...