Smash BurgersMike Reid
- 250g Beef brisket
- 250g Beef chuck
- 100g Beef Fat
- 125g Minced onion
- 25ml Veg Oil
- 125g Butter, unsalted
- 50g Cheddar cheese
- 25ml Egg yolk
- 5ml White wine vinegar
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 80g Onion
- Milk bun
- 1 Tomato
- Pickled Cucumber
- Iceberg lettuce
- American mustard
- Slowly sweat down your diced onions over a medium heat and cook until golden brown and sugars have released.
- Dice all your meat and fat into rough cubes that will fit through your mincer easily
- Layout cling film on your bench with a few overlapping layers ready for your mince in a minute
- Set up your mincer and add all ingredients collecting your mince as it comes out and laying it on the cling film you set up earlier. Build up the meat in layers almost like you are rebuilding a sausage
- Once all the meat is minced roll the mix in the clingfilm nice and tightly like a sausage. Tie of the ends and put in the fridge to firm up for a couple of hours before cutting into privatepatties
- Add your egg yolk and vinegar to the thermomix and blend until sabayon stage.
- Clarify your butter and grate your cheese and put to one side.
- Take your egg mix from the thermo and place in a metal bowl. Pour your clarified butter into the mix slowly giving it a chance to combine.
- Add your cheese right at the end and season with the whey from the butter and cayenne pepper.
1. Slowly sweat down your diced onions over a medium heat and cook until golden brown and sugars have released
- Grill your burger on your griddle top, whilst toasting your buns on the grill too
- Place your bacon jam on the base of the bun and your burger on top.
- Cover with cheese, pickled cucumbers, pickled onion and lettuce, cover with lid and serve
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Young Tempranillo.
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...
Ingredients: Serves 4 1 packet Udon Noodles (Hakubaku brand preferred) 250g smoked trout, torn into bite-sized slices 200g mesclun or butter lettuce, roughly torn 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded, sliced 3 spring onions, thinly sliced 1 cup fresh...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you with the help from our friends at Velisha Farms 800g Doncaster & black Russians Tomatoes, chopped ½ Red Onion, thinly sliced 1 Tbsp vinaigrette 1 Lemon, zest 10g Wild Rocket Dressing: 200ml Early harvest Olive oil 3 Tbsp...
Ingredients: Makes 2 2 Tbsp olive oil 2 clove garlic, finely chopped 2 spring onions, finely sliced 1 green chilli, finely chopped ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped ½ tsp ground turmeric 1 tsp chilli powder 1 tsp ground cumin 1 tsp ground coriander 4 Eggs,...
Ingredients:Serves 1 150g Wagyu Thick Skirt 1 Hens Egg ½ Tomato, Sliced Sprigs of fresh Watercress ½ Onion, Sliced & Sautéed ½ Tbsp Dijon Mustard 1 Tbsp Spiced Tomato Chutney 1 Medium sized seeded baguette cut in half Method: Grill the wagyu from room...