Smash BurgersMike Reid
- 250g Beef brisket
- 250g Beef chuck
- 100g Beef Fat
- 125g Minced onion
- 25ml Veg Oil
- 125g Butter, unsalted
- 50g Cheddar cheese
- 25ml Egg yolk
- 5ml White wine vinegar
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 80g Onion
- Milk bun
- 1 Tomato
- Pickled Cucumber
- Iceberg lettuce
- American mustard
- Slowly sweat down your diced onions over a medium heat and cook until golden brown and sugars have released.
- Dice all your meat and fat into rough cubes that will fit through your mincer easily
- Layout cling film on your bench with a few overlapping layers ready for your mince in a minute
- Set up your mincer and add all ingredients collecting your mince as it comes out and laying it on the cling film you set up earlier. Build up the meat in layers almost like you are rebuilding a sausage
- Once all the meat is minced roll the mix in the clingfilm nice and tightly like a sausage. Tie of the ends and put in the fridge to firm up for a couple of hours before cutting into privatepatties
- Add your egg yolk and vinegar to the thermomix and blend until sabayon stage.
- Clarify your butter and grate your cheese and put to one side.
- Take your egg mix from the thermo and place in a metal bowl. Pour your clarified butter into the mix slowly giving it a chance to combine.
- Add your cheese right at the end and season with the whey from the butter and cayenne pepper.
1. Slowly sweat down your diced onions over a medium heat and cook until golden brown and sugars have released
- Grill your burger on your griddle top, whilst toasting your buns on the grill too
- Place your bacon jam on the base of the bun and your burger on top.
- Cover with cheese, pickled cucumbers, pickled onion and lettuce, cover with lid and serve
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Young Tempranillo.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...