Veal SchnitzelBen O'Donoghue
- 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 100g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 100g butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish
- 1 large red capsicum
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the veal steaks between sheets of baking paper and beat until they’re each around 3 mm thick.
- Crush the cornflakes into fine crumbs in a mortar with a pestle.
- Combine with the parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, egg and milk and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Dip the veal into the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip off.
- Dredge in the cornflake and parmesan crumbs. To ensure that the veal is well coated with crumbs, pat it between your hands.
- Place each crumbed steak on a tray while you crumb the remaining veal cotolettas.
- To make the salsa, grill the capsicum until charred, then allow to cool. Remove the skin and seeds, then dice. Blanch, skin and deseed the tomatoes, then dice. Place in a bowl and combine with the diced capsicum.
- Add the garlic and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan large enough to fit two of the cotolettas.
- Add 50g of butter and the sunflower oil. When the butter starts to foam, add the veal and cook until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining cotolettas.
- Clean the pan, then add the remaining butter and heat until it starts to foam. Add the sage leaves and anchovies, allowing the sage to become crisp and the anchovy to soften.
- Place the cotolettas on plates and dress with the sage and anchovy butter. Scatter with the salsa, and garnish with a little wild rocket.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...