Veal SchnitzelBen O'Donoghue
- 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 100g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 100g butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish
- 1 large red capsicum
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the veal steaks between sheets of baking paper and beat until they’re each around 3 mm thick.
- Crush the cornflakes into fine crumbs in a mortar with a pestle.
- Combine with the parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, egg and milk and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Dip the veal into the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip off.
- Dredge in the cornflake and parmesan crumbs. To ensure that the veal is well coated with crumbs, pat it between your hands.
- Place each crumbed steak on a tray while you crumb the remaining veal cotolettas.
- To make the salsa, grill the capsicum until charred, then allow to cool. Remove the skin and seeds, then dice. Blanch, skin and deseed the tomatoes, then dice. Place in a bowl and combine with the diced capsicum.
- Add the garlic and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan large enough to fit two of the cotolettas.
- Add 50g of butter and the sunflower oil. When the butter starts to foam, add the veal and cook until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining cotolettas.
- Clean the pan, then add the remaining butter and heat until it starts to foam. Add the sage leaves and anchovies, allowing the sage to become crisp and the anchovy to soften.
- Place the cotolettas on plates and dress with the sage and anchovy butter. Scatter with the salsa, and garnish with a little wild rocket.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...