Veal SchnitzelBen O'Donoghue
- 4× 150g veal rib-eye steaks
- 4 cups cornflakes
- 100g parmesan, finely grated
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 egg
- 200ml milk
- 100g butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 12 sage leaves
- 8 anchovy fillets
- Bunch of wild rocket, to garnish
- 1 large red capsicum
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the veal steaks between sheets of baking paper and beat until they’re each around 3 mm thick.
- Crush the cornflakes into fine crumbs in a mortar with a pestle.
- Combine with the parmesan.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, egg and milk and whisk to a smooth batter.
- Dip the veal into the batter, allowing the excess batter to drip off.
- Dredge in the cornflake and parmesan crumbs. To ensure that the veal is well coated with crumbs, pat it between your hands.
- Place each crumbed steak on a tray while you crumb the remaining veal cotolettas.
- To make the salsa, grill the capsicum until charred, then allow to cool. Remove the skin and seeds, then dice. Blanch, skin and deseed the tomatoes, then dice. Place in a bowl and combine with the diced capsicum.
- Add the garlic and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then add the red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Heat a frying pan large enough to fit two of the cotolettas.
- Add 50g of butter and the sunflower oil. When the butter starts to foam, add the veal and cook until crisp and golden on both sides. Remove from the pan and cook the remaining cotolettas.
- Clean the pan, then add the remaining butter and heat until it starts to foam. Add the sage leaves and anchovies, allowing the sage to become crisp and the anchovy to soften.
- Place the cotolettas on plates and dress with the sage and anchovy butter. Scatter with the salsa, and garnish with a little wild rocket.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...