Welsh RarebitMatt Sinclair
- 4-6 large slices thick-cut sourdough
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. plain flour
- 250ml Pale Ale
- 1 heaped tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, plus extra
- 150gm Vintage cheddar, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the grill to 220C. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Place a small saucepan over a low heat and melt butter until lightly bubbling. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for approximately 2 minutes, whisking continuously to avoid burning. Gradually pour in the beer, whisking after each addition until the sauce is thick and smooth. Add mustard, chilli and Worcestershire and stir through. Finally, add in cheddar and whisk until the cheese has melted and the sauce is thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add in the egg yolk and gently whisk through. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread slices and butter on one side. Place buttered-side up onto the prepared baking tray. Spoon over cheese mixture and spread to the edges of the toasted bread. Place under the grill for 1-2 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
- Garnish with parsley and an extra drizzle of Worcestershire sauce.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...