Pickled Green TomatoesMatt Sinclair
- 2kg green tomatoes, cut into 5mm slices
- 200g salt
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place the green tomatoes in a plastic tub and cover and coat evenly with the salt. Place a plate or board on top of the tomatoes and weigh down with about 5kg. Set aside for 24 hours.
- Remove the weight, drain off any liquid and rinse off any excess salt. Return the tomatoes to the tub and cover with vinegar, mix well before placing the plate/board and weight on top again and leave for a further 24 hours.
- Remove the weight and drain off the liquid again. Squeeze the tomato with your hands to remove any excess liquid. Return the tomato to the tub and season with oregano, garlic and chill and lightly coat with olive oil. Mix to combine well.
- Divide and tightly pack the tomatoes into clean jars, cover with extra virgin olive oil and ensure the tomatoes are fully submerged. Seal the jar and leave in a cool space for about 1 week, check and top up with extra oil, if needed. Leave the jars in a cool, dry place for another 4-6 weeks before they are ready. Tomatoes will keep for up to 1 year unopened, or 1 month, refrigerated once opened.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...