Pickled Green TomatoesMatt Sinclair
- 2kg green tomatoes, cut into 5mm slices
- 200g salt
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place the green tomatoes in a plastic tub and cover and coat evenly with the salt. Place a plate or board on top of the tomatoes and weigh down with about 5kg. Set aside for 24 hours.
- Remove the weight, drain off any liquid and rinse off any excess salt. Return the tomatoes to the tub and cover with vinegar, mix well before placing the plate/board and weight on top again and leave for a further 24 hours.
- Remove the weight and drain off the liquid again. Squeeze the tomato with your hands to remove any excess liquid. Return the tomato to the tub and season with oregano, garlic and chill and lightly coat with olive oil. Mix to combine well.
- Divide and tightly pack the tomatoes into clean jars, cover with extra virgin olive oil and ensure the tomatoes are fully submerged. Seal the jar and leave in a cool space for about 1 week, check and top up with extra oil, if needed. Leave the jars in a cool, dry place for another 4-6 weeks before they are ready. Tomatoes will keep for up to 1 year unopened, or 1 month, refrigerated once opened.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...