Pickled Green TomatoesMatt Sinclair
- 2kg green tomatoes, cut into 5mm slices
- 200g salt
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place the green tomatoes in a plastic tub and cover and coat evenly with the salt. Place a plate or board on top of the tomatoes and weigh down with about 5kg. Set aside for 24 hours.
- Remove the weight, drain off any liquid and rinse off any excess salt. Return the tomatoes to the tub and cover with vinegar, mix well before placing the plate/board and weight on top again and leave for a further 24 hours.
- Remove the weight and drain off the liquid again. Squeeze the tomato with your hands to remove any excess liquid. Return the tomato to the tub and season with oregano, garlic and chill and lightly coat with olive oil. Mix to combine well.
- Divide and tightly pack the tomatoes into clean jars, cover with extra virgin olive oil and ensure the tomatoes are fully submerged. Seal the jar and leave in a cool space for about 1 week, check and top up with extra oil, if needed. Leave the jars in a cool, dry place for another 4-6 weeks before they are ready. Tomatoes will keep for up to 1 year unopened, or 1 month, refrigerated once opened.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Grigio.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...