Beer Battered Fish with Garlic and Dill MayoMatt Sinclair
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour, plus extra
- 375ml bottle of lager beer, cold
- 4 x fillets white fish, portioned into thick strips eg. Flathead/snapper/red emperor
- Sea Salt
- Deep fryer/pot of vegetable oil
Garlic Dill Mayo:
- ½ cup garlic Dip (Yumi brand preferred)
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- ½ bunch Fresh Dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- In a large bowl, add the self-raising flour and pour the beer in slowly, mixing it with a fork as you go. Avoid over mixing, small lumps are ok. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes which will help activate the batter.
- Combine the garlic dip, mayonnaise and herbs in a bowl and mix to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice if required.
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel before dusting with a bit of flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to the chilled batter. Dredge the fish and allow any batter to drip off before adding to the fryer. Fry the fish for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, turning during cooking if required. Drain and transfer onto a wire rack and season well with sea salt. *Cook the fish in batches to avoid overcrowding in the fryer and keep warm in a low temperature oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and the garlic-dill dipping sauce on the side.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...