Beer Battered Fish with Garlic and Dill MayoMatt Sinclair
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour, plus extra
- 375ml bottle of lager beer, cold
- 4 x fillets white fish, portioned into thick strips eg. Flathead/snapper/red emperor
- Sea Salt
- Deep fryer/pot of vegetable oil
Garlic Dill Mayo:
- ½ cup garlic Dip (Yumi brand preferred)
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- ½ bunch Fresh Dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- In a large bowl, add the self-raising flour and pour the beer in slowly, mixing it with a fork as you go. Avoid over mixing, small lumps are ok. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes which will help activate the batter.
- Combine the garlic dip, mayonnaise and herbs in a bowl and mix to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice if required.
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel before dusting with a bit of flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to the chilled batter. Dredge the fish and allow any batter to drip off before adding to the fryer. Fry the fish for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, turning during cooking if required. Drain and transfer onto a wire rack and season well with sea salt. *Cook the fish in batches to avoid overcrowding in the fryer and keep warm in a low temperature oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and the garlic-dill dipping sauce on the side.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...