Beer Battered Fish with Garlic and Dill MayoMatt Sinclair
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour, plus extra
- 375ml bottle of lager beer, cold
- 4 x fillets white fish, portioned into thick strips eg. Flathead/snapper/red emperor
- Sea Salt
- Deep fryer/pot of vegetable oil
Garlic Dill Mayo:
- ½ cup garlic Dip (Yumi brand preferred)
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- ½ bunch Fresh Dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- In a large bowl, add the self-raising flour and pour the beer in slowly, mixing it with a fork as you go. Avoid over mixing, small lumps are ok. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes which will help activate the batter.
- Combine the garlic dip, mayonnaise and herbs in a bowl and mix to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice if required.
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel before dusting with a bit of flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to the chilled batter. Dredge the fish and allow any batter to drip off before adding to the fryer. Fry the fish for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, turning during cooking if required. Drain and transfer onto a wire rack and season well with sea salt. *Cook the fish in batches to avoid overcrowding in the fryer and keep warm in a low temperature oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and the garlic-dill dipping sauce on the side.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...