Beer Battered Fish with Garlic and Dill MayoMatt Sinclair
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour, plus extra
- 375ml bottle of lager beer, cold
- 4 x fillets white fish, portioned into thick strips eg. Flathead/snapper/red emperor
- Sea Salt
- Deep fryer/pot of vegetable oil
Garlic Dill Mayo:
- ½ cup garlic Dip (Yumi brand preferred)
- ½ cup Kewpie mayonnaise
- ½ bunch Fresh Dill, finely chopped
- ½ bunch Fresh Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- Lemon juice
- In a large bowl, add the self-raising flour and pour the beer in slowly, mixing it with a fork as you go. Avoid over mixing, small lumps are ok. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes which will help activate the batter.
- Combine the garlic dip, mayonnaise and herbs in a bowl and mix to combine. Season to taste with lemon juice if required.
- Heat oil to 180C.
- Pat the fish fillets dry with a paper towel before dusting with a bit of flour. Shake off any excess and transfer to the chilled batter. Dredge the fish and allow any batter to drip off before adding to the fryer. Fry the fish for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and crunchy, turning during cooking if required. Drain and transfer onto a wire rack and season well with sea salt. *Cook the fish in batches to avoid overcrowding in the fryer and keep warm in a low temperature oven while you cook the rest.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and the garlic-dill dipping sauce on the side.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...