Braised Lamb Shoulder with ToumMatt Sinclair
- 4kg Lamb shoulder with a generous fat cap
- 2 Litres liquid chicken stock
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Sea salt
- 1/3 cup garlic cloves, peeled
- 20gm lemon juice
- 20gm iced water
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- In a large saucepan heat 2 Tbsp. of the olive oil over a medium heat. Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves and peppercorns and fry off for approximately 1-2 minutes or until aromatic. Add chicken stock and bring to the boil to infuse.
- Place lamb shoulder in desired braising tray, ensuring it is deep enough to submerge the entire shoulder. Pour stock over the lamb, cover with tin foil and place into the oven for 3.5 hours.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest in the braising liquid for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the toum in a food processor. Add the garlic, lemon and water and blitz on low to combine. Scrape the edges down and blitz again, slowly pour in the olive oil and process until combined and emulsified. Adjust seasoning with salt and extra lemon juice if required. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Turn the oven to 240C. Remove lamb shoulder from braising liquid and place on a roasting rack. Drizzle the fat cap with remaining olive oil and generously season with sea salt. Place into a heated oven for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...