Chai Spiced BiscottiMatt Sinclair
- 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted
Chai Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, including the spice mix. Add more spice (to taste) if required.
- Lightly mix the eggs using a paddle attachment on an electric mixer. Add in the cooled butter and mix to combine. Slowly add the flour mix in and mix until a loose dough has formed. Dough will be sticky and may need a ‘wet hand’ to bring together. Fold in the almonds with a spatula. Turn out into cling film, wrap up in a ball and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper. Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and cut in half. Transfer each one to the prepared baking trays. Using wet hands, form the dough into logs, approximately 20cm in length, allowing room to expand. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden in colour and firm to touch. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 150C.
- Once the loaves are cool, slice diagonally into 5mm thick pieces using a sharp serrated knife and lay out onto the lined baking trays. Bake in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes, turning halfway. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Tawny.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...