Chai Spiced BiscottiMatt Sinclair
- 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted
Chai Spice Mix:
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, including the spice mix. Add more spice (to taste) if required.
- Lightly mix the eggs using a paddle attachment on an electric mixer. Add in the cooled butter and mix to combine. Slowly add the flour mix in and mix until a loose dough has formed. Dough will be sticky and may need a ‘wet hand’ to bring together. Fold in the almonds with a spatula. Turn out into cling film, wrap up in a ball and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper. Remove the dough from the fridge, unwrap and cut in half. Transfer each one to the prepared baking trays. Using wet hands, form the dough into logs, approximately 20cm in length, allowing room to expand. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until golden in colour and firm to touch. Remove and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Reduce the heat of the oven to 150C.
- Once the loaves are cool, slice diagonally into 5mm thick pieces using a sharp serrated knife and lay out onto the lined baking trays. Bake in the oven for a further 15-20 minutes, turning halfway. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Tawny.
Ingredients: 300 g dairy-free margarine 300 g gluten-free plain flour , plus extra for dusting 300 g golden caster sugar 4 large free-range eggs 3 lemons 2 oranges 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder ½ teaspoon xanthan gum 100 g icing sugar Method: Preheat the oven...
Ingredients: 150g dark chocolate 64%, roughly chopped 100ml olive oil 4 large free-range eggs, at room temperature, separated ¼ tsp Sea salt 50g caster sugar Method: Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a large heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of...
Ingredients:Makes 6–8 400 g fresh pitted or frozen and thawed cherries 180 g (2 cups) desiccated coconut250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, warm 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or powder 220 g (1 cup) cacao butter125 g (1 cup) cacao powder...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 2 punnets Perfection Fresh raspberries 2 bananas, frozen ½ cup milk (or dairy-free alternative) 2tbs maple syrup 1tsp vanilla extract 1 punnet Perfection Fresh raspberries, to...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 2cups of water Rind of approx 1 lemon 3 tsp vanilla essence 3 cups self raising flour 1/3 cup of caster sugar 240g fresh ricotta cubed small Vegetable oil for frying Caster Sugar & cinnamon for coating Method: Whisk eggs until fluffy. Add 2...
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: Perfection Fresh Blueberries Perfection Fresh Strawberries Mascarpone Balsamic Vinegar 2 Tsp Cinnamon 2 tsp Vanilla essence Nutmeg 3 Tsp Icing Sugar Method: Cut the tops off the...