Cheese PitaMatt Sinclair
- 3 cups plain flour, plus extra
- 1 ¼ cups warm water
- 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 100gm Greek fetta
- 300gm cottage cheese
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 eggs
- Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together, season with salt if needed. Separately, combine the eggs and cream with a pinch of salt in another bowl. Set aside until required.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt, mix together and make a well in the centre. Pour the water and the oil into the well of the flour and bring in the outer edges and combine to form a sticky dough. Knead the dough for about 5-6 minutes until the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Cut into 2 equal parts and knead each ball for about 5 minutes until smooth. Rub a little oil on each dough ball, place in a plastic bag or put into a bowl and cover with cling film, and place in a warm spot for at least an hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Prepare the clean tablecloth on a large workbench or table, lightly sprinkle over some flour to avoid it sticking. Roll out one of the dough bowls with a lightly floured rolling pin to about 30-40cm in diameter. Leave for 3-4 minutes before gently stretching it out to a large sheet, working edge by edge, gently stretching to cover the tablecloth and workbench. The dough will be almost see-through. Small holes and tears are okay but try to avoid large holes.
- Sprinkle the stretched dough with a little bit of oil, spread out and dollop ½ of the cheese mixture around the dough, including all the way to the edges, followed by ½ of the egg and cream mixture. Fold over each of the long edges by and inch or so, take the long ends of the tablecloth and gently lift to roll both sides of the dough up into the centre. Lightly grease a large, deep rectangle or round baking tray with oil (not too much). If you are using a round tray, tightly coil the dough into itself and transfer to the baking tray. If using a rectangle tray, tightly fold the dough into itself lengthways (like a zig-zag snake).
- Repeat with the remaining dough ball and add to the pita in the baking tray to ensure they fit tightly and snugly together. Lightly drizzle with a bit of oil and place into a preheated oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: 2 smaller baking trays can be used for 2 pitas, but ensure they are a snug fit for the rolled dough, or it will flatten when cooking.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Gris.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...