Dan Dan NoodlesMatt Sinclair
- 270g Hikubaku udon noodles
- 1 bunch Gai Lan, or leafy Asian greens
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g pork mince
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp five spice powder
- ½ cup roasted crushed peanuts
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup crushed chilli flakes
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp five spice powder
- ½ Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground in a mortar and pestle
- ½ cup prepared chilli oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Add the Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise and oil in a small saucepan and place over a low heat. Bring to approximately 160C and then remove from the heat. Allow the oil to sit for about 6-8 minutes and then remove the spices from the oil. Add in the chilli flakes and let them steep in the hot oil until the oil is cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine all on the sauce ingredients and mix until smooth. Adjust to personalised taste with extra Sichuan peppercorns, chilli oil etc. Set aside until required.
- Prepare the noodles as per packet instructions, blanching the greens for the last minute of cooking. drain and cool under running water. Strain well.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the pork and move around the wok constantly until browned, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add in the Hoisin sauce, Shaoxing, dark soy and five spice powder. Toss to incorporate. Season to taste. Cook, moving often until the sauce has evaporated, approximately 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the sauce into the base of 4 bowls. Top with the noodles and greens, followed by the pork mixture. Garnish well with crushed peanuts and spring onions.
- Mix the ingredients together in the bowl and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...