Dan Dan NoodlesMatt Sinclair
- 270g Hikubaku udon noodles
- 1 bunch Gai Lan, or leafy Asian greens
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g pork mince
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp five spice powder
- ½ cup roasted crushed peanuts
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup crushed chilli flakes
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp five spice powder
- ½ Tbsp Sichuan peppercorns, ground in a mortar and pestle
- ½ cup prepared chilli oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- Add the Sichuan peppercorns, cinnamon, star anise and oil in a small saucepan and place over a low heat. Bring to approximately 160C and then remove from the heat. Allow the oil to sit for about 6-8 minutes and then remove the spices from the oil. Add in the chilli flakes and let them steep in the hot oil until the oil is cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine all on the sauce ingredients and mix until smooth. Adjust to personalised taste with extra Sichuan peppercorns, chilli oil etc. Set aside until required.
- Prepare the noodles as per packet instructions, blanching the greens for the last minute of cooking. drain and cool under running water. Strain well.
- Heat the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the pork and move around the wok constantly until browned, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add in the Hoisin sauce, Shaoxing, dark soy and five spice powder. Toss to incorporate. Season to taste. Cook, moving often until the sauce has evaporated, approximately 5 minutes.
- To serve, divide the sauce into the base of 4 bowls. Top with the noodles and greens, followed by the pork mixture. Garnish well with crushed peanuts and spring onions.
- Mix the ingredients together in the bowl and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Grenache.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...