Duck Confit with Celeriac, Spinach and Red Wine GlazeRob Rees
- 2 Duck Legs
- 400- 500ml Olive Oil
- Zest of ½ Lime
- Zest of ½ Orange
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 2 tsp Five Spice
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Indigenous herbs such as Sea Parsley and Myrtle could be perfect flavorings. A good confit is a combination of your most liked flavors gently extracted and absorbed by the meat during the cooking process.
- ½ Celeriac peeled and sliced into Julienne Strips
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Generous Teaspoon Tarragon Mustard or Grain Mustard
- 35g Chopped English Parsley
- Juice of half lemon
- 30g Unsalted Butter
- 275g Baby leaf washed spinach
- Fresh Nutmeg to grate
- ¾ Glass Red Wine
- 2 Teaspoons Clear Honey
- A good splash of Balsamic Vinegar
- Trim the knuckle off the Duck Legs and place them in a deep thick bottomed pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle over the spices, zests, juice and sugar and then pour over the oil until the duck legs are almost coated.
- Place the saucepan onto the hotplate and bring it to simmering point. Cover with a lid and place in a slow oven (100 degrees) for 4 hours minimum.
- Once cooked and the meat is falling off the bone it is now ready to serve, or can be cooled and stored in the fridge until a later date. As long as the duck is covered with oil it will keep for at least a month in the fridge.
- To reheat the duck, transfer it to a clean saucepan and place into the top oven to warm through. This can be done either in or out of the fat.
- Glaze the duck with a touch of honey upon serving.
- Serve with a salad of Julienne Celeriac, Grain or Tarragon Mustard, Chopped English Parsley, lemon juice and Mayonnaise as well as saute spinach and a red wine glaze.
- Place all the ingredients together in a saucepan and gently heat until the liquid has reduced by at least half and is very sticky.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...