Duck Confit with Celeriac, Spinach and Red Wine GlazeRob Rees
- 2 Duck Legs
- 400- 500ml Olive Oil
- Zest of ½ Lime
- Zest of ½ Orange
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 6 Cloves
- 3 Star Anise
- 2 tsp Five Spice
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Indigenous herbs such as Sea Parsley and Myrtle could be perfect flavorings. A good confit is a combination of your most liked flavors gently extracted and absorbed by the meat during the cooking process.
- ½ Celeriac peeled and sliced into Julienne Strips
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 1 Generous Teaspoon Tarragon Mustard or Grain Mustard
- 35g Chopped English Parsley
- Juice of half lemon
- 30g Unsalted Butter
- 275g Baby leaf washed spinach
- Fresh Nutmeg to grate
- ¾ Glass Red Wine
- 2 Teaspoons Clear Honey
- A good splash of Balsamic Vinegar
- Trim the knuckle off the Duck Legs and place them in a deep thick bottomed pan or casserole dish. Sprinkle over the spices, zests, juice and sugar and then pour over the oil until the duck legs are almost coated.
- Place the saucepan onto the hotplate and bring it to simmering point. Cover with a lid and place in a slow oven (100 degrees) for 4 hours minimum.
- Once cooked and the meat is falling off the bone it is now ready to serve, or can be cooled and stored in the fridge until a later date. As long as the duck is covered with oil it will keep for at least a month in the fridge.
- To reheat the duck, transfer it to a clean saucepan and place into the top oven to warm through. This can be done either in or out of the fat.
- Glaze the duck with a touch of honey upon serving.
- Serve with a salad of Julienne Celeriac, Grain or Tarragon Mustard, Chopped English Parsley, lemon juice and Mayonnaise as well as saute spinach and a red wine glaze.
- Place all the ingredients together in a saucepan and gently heat until the liquid has reduced by at least half and is very sticky.
Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Vegemite and Cheese Scrolls
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Laura’s Mum’s Meatball Pasta
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Crispy Chilli Oil
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...
Special Fried Rice
Ingredients: 60 ml (¼ cup) peanut oil 4 green king prawns, peeled, cleaned and roughly chopped 2 eggs, lightly beaten 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 2 tsp finely chopped ginger 150 gm Chinese-style barbecue pork char siu roughly chopped 555 gm (3 cups) cooked rice 1...