- 2 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup shao-hsing wine
- 3L water
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 8 cloves garlic
- 6 spring onions, 5cm batons
- 8 star anise
- 8 coriander seeds
- 4 cinnamon quills
- 4 cloves
- 2 pork trotters
- Place an even layer of sugar in a large heavy based saucepan (8L Capacity). Put the stock pot on a medium heat to begin caramelising. Once sugar has reached a dark amber caramel, turn off the heat and very carefully introduce soy, shao-shing and water.
- Return to a high heat and add all other ingredients. Simmer uncovered for 3 hours to cook pork trotters.
- Including the trotters to the first stock will introduce a great gelatinous body to the stock, if looked after and stored correctly the stock can last for years.
- Strain stock into a large sterilized jar for refrigeration or into takeaway containers to freeze.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Rose.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...