Microwave Carrot Cake with Lime IcingMatt Sinclair
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
Lime Cream Cheese:
- 200g cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted
- Zest of 1 lime, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tsp lime juice, plus extra to taste
- 1/3 cup shaved coconut, lightly toasted
- 1 cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- In a medium bowl add the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla and whisk together to combine. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well to incorporate. More spice can be added if you would like a darker cake with richer flavour.
- Pour into a silicone ring mould, cover with a paper towel and place in the microwave for 6 minutes. (this is based on a microwave wattage of approximately 1000W).
- If the cake requires further cooking, microwave in bursts of 30 seconds until cooked through.
- Carefully remove from the microwave and allow to cool slightly in the silicone mould before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare the icing in the meantime by mixing the cream cheese, icing sugar, lime juice and zest in an electric mixer using the paddle attachment. Adjust the tang to taste with extra lime juice if needed.
- Ice the carrot cake and garnish with toasted coconut and extra lime zest.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Late Harvest Riesling.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...