Mushroom, Tofu and Cashew LaabMatt Sinclair
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 150g Shimeji mushrooms, chopped
- 300g firm tofu, diced
- ½ cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch mint leaves, torn
- Birdseye chilli, finely sliced to garnish
- ½ green cabbage, quartered, leaves separated
- 2 Tbsp glutinous rice (Jasmine rice substitute ok)
- 1-2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp palm sugar, grated
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- Heat oven to 180C. Lay the rice out onto a flat tray and toast in the oven until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before transferring to a spice grinder or mortar pestle. Ground to a coarse powder and set aside until required.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Adjust seasoning to taste with extra fish sauce, sugar or lime juice where needed. Dressing should be sharp but balanced with salty, sour and sweet. Set aside until required.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until it shimmers. Fry off the mushrooms, moving constantly for 2-3 minutes before adding the tofu and most of the cashews. Fry off for another 2 minutes until tofu is warmed through. Remove and cool slightly before transferring to a large mixing bowl. Add the red onion and herbs and toss together. Add enough dressing to coat the ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter or divide into bowls and garnish with a bit of extra dressing, remaining cashews, a sprinkle of roasted rice and Birdseye chillies to taste. Cabbage is served on the side as an accompaniment.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...