Mushroom, Tofu and Cashew LaabMatt Sinclair
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g Shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 150g Shimeji mushrooms, chopped
- 300g firm tofu, diced
- ½ cup toasted cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- ½ bunch mint leaves, torn
- Birdseye chilli, finely sliced to garnish
- ½ green cabbage, quartered, leaves separated
- 2 Tbsp glutinous rice (Jasmine rice substitute ok)
- 1-2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp palm sugar, grated
- 1 Tbsp chilli powder
- Heat oven to 180C. Lay the rice out onto a flat tray and toast in the oven until golden brown, approximately 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly before transferring to a spice grinder or mortar pestle. Ground to a coarse powder and set aside until required.
- Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl and mix together. Adjust seasoning to taste with extra fish sauce, sugar or lime juice where needed. Dressing should be sharp but balanced with salty, sour and sweet. Set aside until required.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat until it shimmers. Fry off the mushrooms, moving constantly for 2-3 minutes before adding the tofu and most of the cashews. Fry off for another 2 minutes until tofu is warmed through. Remove and cool slightly before transferring to a large mixing bowl. Add the red onion and herbs and toss together. Add enough dressing to coat the ingredients and toss to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary. Transfer to a serving platter or divide into bowls and garnish with a bit of extra dressing, remaining cashews, a sprinkle of roasted rice and Birdseye chillies to taste. Cabbage is served on the side as an accompaniment.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...