Orange and Poppyseed Puddings with Rum CustardMatt Sinclair
- 125gm unsalted butter, softened
- 100gm caster sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 200gm self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20gm poppyseeds
- 2 eggs
- 140ml milk
- 125ml milk
- 125ml thickened cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp rum
- Lightly grease 4-6 ramekins with a little butter or oil.
- Add the butter, sugar and zests to the base of a stand mixer and beat to combine for about 5 minute of until pale and fluffy. Scarpe down the sides before adding the sifted flour, baking powder and poppyseeds. Gently mix until just combined before increasing to a medium speed for another 2 minutes. Add one egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and turn the mixer to a low-medium speed before slowly pouring in the milk. Mix well for 4-5 minutes.
- Make sure there is no cake mixture on the bottom or sides of the bowl that has not combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Cut out 4-6 pieces of baking paper and alfoil that will cover the and wrap over the top of each ramekin. Place the baking paper over the ramekins first and then top with the alfoil, folding down the edges firmly to cover. Put the ramekins in a deep pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan with a lid and place on a low heat for 30-40 minutes or until puddings have risen and are firm. Water should be at a simmer during cooking. Carefully remove the ramekins from the water and let sit for 2-3 minutes before turning them out onto serving plates.
- While the puddings are steaming, prepare the rum custard. Combine the milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Bring to a light simmer and remove from the heat. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl to combine. Very carefully and slowly pour and whisk in the milk mixture into the egg and sugar and continue whisking to combine. Pour everything back into the saucepan and place over a low heat, mixing constantly until thickened (thicken to consistency between an anglaise and custard). Take care not to boil as it will scramble or separate. Remove from the heat before adding in the vanilla and rum.
- Serve the warm steamed puddings with rum custard over the top, and vanilla Ice cream if you wish.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botyrtis Semillon.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...