Orange and Poppyseed Puddings with Rum CustardMatt Sinclair
- 125gm unsalted butter, softened
- 100gm caster sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 200gm self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 20gm poppyseeds
- 2 eggs
- 140ml milk
- 125ml milk
- 125ml thickened cream
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp rum
- Lightly grease 4-6 ramekins with a little butter or oil.
- Add the butter, sugar and zests to the base of a stand mixer and beat to combine for about 5 minute of until pale and fluffy. Scarpe down the sides before adding the sifted flour, baking powder and poppyseeds. Gently mix until just combined before increasing to a medium speed for another 2 minutes. Add one egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and turn the mixer to a low-medium speed before slowly pouring in the milk. Mix well for 4-5 minutes.
- Make sure there is no cake mixture on the bottom or sides of the bowl that has not combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Cut out 4-6 pieces of baking paper and alfoil that will cover the and wrap over the top of each ramekin. Place the baking paper over the ramekins first and then top with the alfoil, folding down the edges firmly to cover. Put the ramekins in a deep pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the pan with a lid and place on a low heat for 30-40 minutes or until puddings have risen and are firm. Water should be at a simmer during cooking. Carefully remove the ramekins from the water and let sit for 2-3 minutes before turning them out onto serving plates.
- While the puddings are steaming, prepare the rum custard. Combine the milk and cream in a heavy-based saucepan and place over a low-medium heat. Bring to a light simmer and remove from the heat. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl to combine. Very carefully and slowly pour and whisk in the milk mixture into the egg and sugar and continue whisking to combine. Pour everything back into the saucepan and place over a low heat, mixing constantly until thickened (thicken to consistency between an anglaise and custard). Take care not to boil as it will scramble or separate. Remove from the heat before adding in the vanilla and rum.
- Serve the warm steamed puddings with rum custard over the top, and vanilla Ice cream if you wish.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botyrtis Semillon.
Banana Breakfast Bar
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
Raspberry Grappa Jam Drops
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Deep Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Crème Brûlèe Donuts
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
Banana Crepes with Banana Caramel
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...