- 4 regular or blood oranges
- 250 g runny honey
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 200 g ground almonds (We use JC’s Quality Almond Meal)
- 100 g fine polenta
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC/325ºF/gas 3. Rub a 20cm springform cake tin with olive oil, then line the base with greaseproof paper and rub the paper with oil.
- In a free-standing mixer on a high speed, whisk 200ml of olive oil with the remaining 150g of honey for 2 minutes to combine.
- Beat in the eggs for 2 minutes, while you finely grate and add the zest of 3 oranges.
- Stop the mixer, then fold in the ground almonds, polenta, and the juice of 1 orange (roughly 50ml).
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, loosening with a palette knife before releasing – be gentle with it.
- While the cake is in the oven, squeeze the juice of 3 oranges (roughly 100ml) into a pan, add 100g of honey and simmer until thickened and reduced. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, drizzle the pretty syrup over everything before tucking in.