Pear Streusel CakeMatt Sinclair
- 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Lightly grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, allowing an inch overhang on each of the longer sides.
- Coat the diced pear pieces with the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in the flour, baking powder and a small pinch of salt and mix to combine. Remove from the mixer, scrape down the sides and fold in 2/3 of the diced pear. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and use a spatula to make a flat surface.
- Next, prepare the streusel crumb by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Using your fingers, gently rub the butter cubes into the flour mixture until you form chunks of crumble. Add the remaining pear mixture and gently mix. Crumble the streusel evenly over the top of the batter and place in the oven to bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer placed in the centre comes out clean. Leave it to stand for 5 minutes before lifting it out onto a wire rack. Cake can be served warm or cold.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...