Pear Streusel CakeMatt Sinclair
- 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125g unsalted butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Lightly grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper, allowing an inch overhang on each of the longer sides.
- Coat the diced pear pieces with the cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on a medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add in the flour, baking powder and a small pinch of salt and mix to combine. Remove from the mixer, scrape down the sides and fold in 2/3 of the diced pear. Pour into the prepared loaf tin and use a spatula to make a flat surface.
- Next, prepare the streusel crumb by adding all the ingredients to a small mixing bowl. Using your fingers, gently rub the butter cubes into the flour mixture until you form chunks of crumble. Add the remaining pear mixture and gently mix. Crumble the streusel evenly over the top of the batter and place in the oven to bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer placed in the centre comes out clean. Leave it to stand for 5 minutes before lifting it out onto a wire rack. Cake can be served warm or cold.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...