Pork Belly Banh MiMatt Sinclair
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated with a mandolin
- 500g pork belly
- Sea salt
- 4 Vietnamese rolls
- 120g chicken liver parfait or pate
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut in half and sliced into long strips
- 2 Spring onions, cut into 15cm lengths, sliced lengthways
- 3 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- ½ bunch coriander stems and leaves
- Maggi seasoning
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a non-reactive bowl along with 2 Tbsp of water. Mix to combine until the sugar has dissolved. Add the grated carrot and steep in the refrigerator while the pork is cooking. Remove just before serving.
- Lay out the pork belly skin side up on a baking tray and salt the skin generously. Ideally, place it into the fridge, uncovered overnight to dry out the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 240C.
- Wipe any excess moisture off with a paper towel. Salt the pork generously on the flesh and the skin, rubbing it in well to ensure it crisps nicely when cooked. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the skin is bubbled and crispy. Reduce the heat to 160C and cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until the pork is cooked through but still juicy. Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving it into 1 cm slices.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally without going all the way through. Open the rolls up and scoop out a bit of the soft bread centre. Spread a decent amount of pate on the bottom half, and mayonnaise on the top half. Add the sliced pork, followed by the cucumber, pickled carrot, spring onions and coriander. Season to taste with Birdseye chillies and Maggi seasoning, and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...