Pork Belly Banh MiMatt Sinclair
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated with a mandolin
- 500g pork belly
- Sea salt
- 4 Vietnamese rolls
- 120g chicken liver parfait or pate
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut in half and sliced into long strips
- 2 Spring onions, cut into 15cm lengths, sliced lengthways
- 3 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- ½ bunch coriander stems and leaves
- Maggi seasoning
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a non-reactive bowl along with 2 Tbsp of water. Mix to combine until the sugar has dissolved. Add the grated carrot and steep in the refrigerator while the pork is cooking. Remove just before serving.
- Lay out the pork belly skin side up on a baking tray and salt the skin generously. Ideally, place it into the fridge, uncovered overnight to dry out the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 240C.
- Wipe any excess moisture off with a paper towel. Salt the pork generously on the flesh and the skin, rubbing it in well to ensure it crisps nicely when cooked. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the skin is bubbled and crispy. Reduce the heat to 160C and cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until the pork is cooked through but still juicy. Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving it into 1 cm slices.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally without going all the way through. Open the rolls up and scoop out a bit of the soft bread centre. Spread a decent amount of pate on the bottom half, and mayonnaise on the top half. Add the sliced pork, followed by the cucumber, pickled carrot, spring onions and coriander. Season to taste with Birdseye chillies and Maggi seasoning, and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...
Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes ½ brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 1 tbsp chilli oil ½ cup white wine 500g goolwa pippies 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped 250g fresh taglierini or linguine 1 lemon, juice only 50g unsalted butter Sea salt flakes Black...
Ingredients: 3 cups plain flour, plus extra Salt 1 ¼ cups warm water 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra Cheese Filling: 500g ricotta cheese 100gm Greek fetta 300gm cottage cheese 300ml thickened cream 2 eggs Salt Method: Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together,...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 1 tbsp oil 225g Chicken mince 2 tbsp fish sauce 1 lime, juice only 1 tsp caster sugar 3 spring onions, finely chopped ¼ cucumber, finely diced 2 red chillies, finely sliced 1cm ginger,...
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ½ bunch parsley 100g parmigiano cheese 2 garlic cloves Sea salt Black pepper Flour, for dusting 2 eggs Method: Blitz the parsley, cheese and garlic into a fine crumb and mix through the breadcrumbs. Season with...
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets. 1 clove of garlic - peeled & sliced in half 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional) 6 black peppercorns 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp curry powder 3/4 cup...