Pork Belly Banh MiMatt Sinclair
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated with a mandolin
- 500g pork belly
- Sea salt
- 4 Vietnamese rolls
- 120g chicken liver parfait or pate
- 1/3 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut in half and sliced into long strips
- 2 Spring onions, cut into 15cm lengths, sliced lengthways
- 3 Birdseye chillies, finely sliced
- ½ bunch coriander stems and leaves
- Maggi seasoning
- Combine the vinegar and sugar in a non-reactive bowl along with 2 Tbsp of water. Mix to combine until the sugar has dissolved. Add the grated carrot and steep in the refrigerator while the pork is cooking. Remove just before serving.
- Lay out the pork belly skin side up on a baking tray and salt the skin generously. Ideally, place it into the fridge, uncovered overnight to dry out the skin.
- Preheat the oven to 240C.
- Wipe any excess moisture off with a paper towel. Salt the pork generously on the flesh and the skin, rubbing it in well to ensure it crisps nicely when cooked. Place in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the skin is bubbled and crispy. Reduce the heat to 160C and cook for a further 20-30 minutes or until the pork is cooked through but still juicy. Remove the pork from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes before carving it into 1 cm slices.
- Cut the rolls in half horizontally without going all the way through. Open the rolls up and scoop out a bit of the soft bread centre. Spread a decent amount of pate on the bottom half, and mayonnaise on the top half. Add the sliced pork, followed by the cucumber, pickled carrot, spring onions and coriander. Season to taste with Birdseye chillies and Maggi seasoning, and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Verdelho.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...