Potato and Celeriac GratinMatt Sinclair
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 400g milk
- 100g tasty cheese
- 1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- Sea salt
- Bulb celeriac, peeled, shaved as thinly as possible
- 3 large waxy red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 medium brown onions, sliced
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Melt the butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan, stirring constantly. Mix the flour into the melted butter with a whisk until it turns into a foamy paste, approximately 2 minutes, but be sure not to brown it.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking continuously and stir until the sauce thickens. Bring it to a light simmer, lower the heat before adding the cheese. Stir it though until melted and season to taste with sea salt and cracked pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Grease a deep baking dish and place a layer of celeriac over the base, followed by a layer of scattered onions and then a layer of potato. Spread over some of the bechamel sauce and spread evenly over the potato. Repeat this layering process until all the ingredients have been used, finishing with a layer of bechamel. Combine the panko crumbs and parsley together and sprinkle evenly over the top of the potato followed by a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Increase the heat for the final 5-10 minutes if you would like more golden colour on the top.
- Serve alongside any grilled or roasted meat dish or leafy salad.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gamay.
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...