Prawn, Pineapple and Haloumi Cheese SkewersBen O'Donoghue
- 1 large king prawn
- 1 large chunk of fresh pineapple
- 1 similar chunk of Karridale Maritime Cheese (if not available use Greek Kefalotyri or Haloumi cheese}
- Bamboo skewers or if possible thick sticks of rosemary for showmanship
- 5 large red chillies
- 1 Kaffir lime
- 1 large ripe tomato (blanched, peeled, de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 bunch of mint
- 100ml macadamia nut oil
- Peel and de-vein the fresh prawns removing the heads.
- Cut the cheese and pineapple into 2 by 3cm chunks trying to use the natural shape of the ingredients (i.e. the pineapple into triangles and the cheese into squares) and thread on to either your bamboo skewers (make sure to soak these first so as they will burn less easily)
- On your girdle plate or BBQ char the red chillies, prick them with a knife so they don’t explode then remove them to a small bowl and cover with glad wrap or cling film, when cool remove the skin and seeds and pull the flesh into strips. Add to this a little corn oil or peanut oil as these have a subtle flavour and the zest of one lime and its juice and a little sugar to balance the heat and acidity of the lime, the chopped tomato and finally add the chopped mint.
- Simply BBQ the skewers ensuring that the prawns are cooked and the pineapple and cheese are slightly charred and hot then just serve with a liberal drizzle of the salsa.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...