Prawn, Pineapple and Haloumi Cheese SkewersBen O'Donoghue
- 1 large king prawn
- 1 large chunk of fresh pineapple
- 1 similar chunk of Karridale Maritime Cheese (if not available use Greek Kefalotyri or Haloumi cheese}
- Bamboo skewers or if possible thick sticks of rosemary for showmanship
- 5 large red chillies
- 1 Kaffir lime
- 1 large ripe tomato (blanched, peeled, de-seeded and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 bunch of mint
- 100ml macadamia nut oil
- Peel and de-vein the fresh prawns removing the heads.
- Cut the cheese and pineapple into 2 by 3cm chunks trying to use the natural shape of the ingredients (i.e. the pineapple into triangles and the cheese into squares) and thread on to either your bamboo skewers (make sure to soak these first so as they will burn less easily)
- On your girdle plate or BBQ char the red chillies, prick them with a knife so they don’t explode then remove them to a small bowl and cover with glad wrap or cling film, when cool remove the skin and seeds and pull the flesh into strips. Add to this a little corn oil or peanut oil as these have a subtle flavour and the zest of one lime and its juice and a little sugar to balance the heat and acidity of the lime, the chopped tomato and finally add the chopped mint.
- Simply BBQ the skewers ensuring that the prawns are cooked and the pineapple and cheese are slightly charred and hot then just serve with a liberal drizzle of the salsa.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...