Salmon NigiriMatt Sinclair
- 3 cups sushi Rice
- 3 cups water
- 90ml rice wine vinegar
- 35gm caster sugar
- 20gm sea salt
- 4 x 180-200g Salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 red onion
- 2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Sushi soy sauce
- Wash the rice 6 times or until water is clear. Add the rice and water to a rice cooker and start cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the sushi seasoning by adding the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl or large jug and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- When the rice is cooked, turn out into a large bowl, drizzle 105ml of sushi seasoning (35ml per 1 cup of rice) and fold through using a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust with extra seasoning if required. Set aside to cool, mixing every now and then to release the heat.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the salmon on an angle into strips (between ½ and 1cm thickness).
- Once the rice is cooled, using lightly wet hands, take about a Tbsp of rice and press it firmly in your palm to form an oblong shape, using your other fingers to press in the ends to tightly compact the rice together. Lay out onto a platter and repeat with the remaining rice.
- On the top of each portion of rice, put a little wasabi (to taste) and about ½ tsp of Kewpie mayonnaise in the centre and gently lay a slice of salmon over the top, folding the salmon over the sides of the rice if there is excess. Top with a slice of avocado followed by slices of red onion. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sparkling Wine.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...