Salmon NigiriMatt Sinclair
- 3 cups sushi Rice
- 3 cups water
- 90ml rice wine vinegar
- 35gm caster sugar
- 20gm sea salt
- 4 x 180-200g Salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 red onion
- 2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Sushi soy sauce
- Wash the rice 6 times or until water is clear. Add the rice and water to a rice cooker and start cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the sushi seasoning by adding the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl or large jug and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- When the rice is cooked, turn out into a large bowl, drizzle 105ml of sushi seasoning (35ml per 1 cup of rice) and fold through using a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust with extra seasoning if required. Set aside to cool, mixing every now and then to release the heat.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the salmon on an angle into strips (between ½ and 1cm thickness).
- Once the rice is cooled, using lightly wet hands, take about a Tbsp of rice and press it firmly in your palm to form an oblong shape, using your other fingers to press in the ends to tightly compact the rice together. Lay out onto a platter and repeat with the remaining rice.
- On the top of each portion of rice, put a little wasabi (to taste) and about ½ tsp of Kewpie mayonnaise in the centre and gently lay a slice of salmon over the top, folding the salmon over the sides of the rice if there is excess. Top with a slice of avocado followed by slices of red onion. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sparkling Wine.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...