Salmon NigiriMatt Sinclair
- 3 cups sushi Rice
- 3 cups water
- 90ml rice wine vinegar
- 35gm caster sugar
- 20gm sea salt
- 4 x 180-200g Salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 red onion
- 2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Sushi soy sauce
- Wash the rice 6 times or until water is clear. Add the rice and water to a rice cooker and start cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the sushi seasoning by adding the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl or large jug and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- When the rice is cooked, turn out into a large bowl, drizzle 105ml of sushi seasoning (35ml per 1 cup of rice) and fold through using a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust with extra seasoning if required. Set aside to cool, mixing every now and then to release the heat.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the salmon on an angle into strips (between ½ and 1cm thickness).
- Once the rice is cooled, using lightly wet hands, take about a Tbsp of rice and press it firmly in your palm to form an oblong shape, using your other fingers to press in the ends to tightly compact the rice together. Lay out onto a platter and repeat with the remaining rice.
- On the top of each portion of rice, put a little wasabi (to taste) and about ½ tsp of Kewpie mayonnaise in the centre and gently lay a slice of salmon over the top, folding the salmon over the sides of the rice if there is excess. Top with a slice of avocado followed by slices of red onion. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sparkling Wine.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...