Salmon NigiriMatt Sinclair
- 3 cups sushi Rice
- 3 cups water
- 90ml rice wine vinegar
- 35gm caster sugar
- 20gm sea salt
- 4 x 180-200g Salmon fillets, skin off
- 1 red onion
- 2 avocado, thinly sliced
- Kewpie mayonnaise
- Sushi soy sauce
- Wash the rice 6 times or until water is clear. Add the rice and water to a rice cooker and start cooking.
- Meanwhile, make the sushi seasoning by adding the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl or large jug and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve.
- When the rice is cooked, turn out into a large bowl, drizzle 105ml of sushi seasoning (35ml per 1 cup of rice) and fold through using a wooden spoon. Taste and adjust with extra seasoning if required. Set aside to cool, mixing every now and then to release the heat.
- Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the salmon on an angle into strips (between ½ and 1cm thickness).
- Once the rice is cooled, using lightly wet hands, take about a Tbsp of rice and press it firmly in your palm to form an oblong shape, using your other fingers to press in the ends to tightly compact the rice together. Lay out onto a platter and repeat with the remaining rice.
- On the top of each portion of rice, put a little wasabi (to taste) and about ½ tsp of Kewpie mayonnaise in the centre and gently lay a slice of salmon over the top, folding the salmon over the sides of the rice if there is excess. Top with a slice of avocado followed by slices of red onion. Serve immediately.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sparkling Wine.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 800g Hanger Steak Sea Salt 1 small yellow pepper, seeds removed, roughly chopped 6 Yellow baby Tomatoes 1 small red chilli, seeds removed ½ tsp dried flaked chillies 2 Garlic cloves, peeled 20g fresh parsley, including any tender stalks 10g each...
Ingredients: 4 roma tomatoes ½ brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, finely diced 1 tbsp chilli oil ½ cup white wine 500g goolwa pippies 1 cup parsley leaves, chopped 250g fresh taglierini or linguine 1 lemon, juice only 50g unsalted butter Sea salt flakes Black...
Ingredients: 3 cups plain flour, plus extra Salt 1 ¼ cups warm water 150ml Peanut oil, plus extra Cheese Filling: 500g ricotta cheese 100gm Greek fetta 300gm cottage cheese 300ml thickened cream 2 eggs Salt Method: Combine the cheeses in a large bowl and mix together,...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms 1 tbsp oil 225g Chicken mince 2 tbsp fish sauce 1 lime, juice only 1 tsp caster sugar 3 spring onions, finely chopped ¼ cucumber, finely diced 2 red chillies, finely sliced 1cm ginger,...
Ingredients: 6 chicken thighs 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs ½ bunch parsley 100g parmigiano cheese 2 garlic cloves Sea salt Black pepper Flour, for dusting 2 eggs Method: Blitz the parsley, cheese and garlic into a fine crumb and mix through the breadcrumbs. Season with...
Ingredients: 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets. 1 clove of garlic - peeled & sliced in half 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional) 6 black peppercorns 1/4 tsp turmeric 1/4 tsp curry powder 3/4 cup...