Sichuan Salt and Pepper SpareribsMatt Sinclair
- 1 kg pork spareribs, cut crosswise into thirds * (ask the butcher – about 1 ½ inches in length)
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 25ml light soy sauce
- 25ml Shaoxing wine
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp potato flour (or plain flour as a substitute)
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Soak the ribs in water for about 30 minutes and drain well.
- Dry roast the peppercorns over a low-medium heat in a small saucepan until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind to a powder (some bits will remain larger). Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and combine with the 5-spice, salt, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil. Coat the ribs in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum or 3 hours, ideally overnight.
- Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a deep-fryer or pot of oil to 180C.
- Combine the egg and flour in a medium bowl and mix to form a cream-like consistency. Add a little water if needed.
- Working in batches, dip the marinated pork into the batter and carefully transfer to the fryer. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until golden and crispy, breaking them apart to avoid them sticking together. Remove, strain and transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining pork. Serve hot and garnish with spring onion.
- Note: * ribs from younger pigs work best
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...
Ingredients: 300ml milk, plus extra 7g sachet of dried yeast 25g white caster sugar 50g shortening or lard 425g plain flour, plus extra 20g polenta, optional Unsalted butter Method: Gently warm the milk in a pan until lukewarm or body temperature, 37ºC. Add the yeast...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Ingredients: 1 medium cauliflower, leaves and stalk trimmed, cut into wedges 400g can lentils, drained and rinsed 1 small white onion, thinly sliced Juice of 1/2 lemon 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin...
Ingredients:For Dough: 500g plain flour 190g cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes ½ tsp salt 60ml warm water 1 egg, at room temperature and whisked For Filling: 600g smoked ham, diced 200g mozzarella, diced 200g cheddar, diced 200g brown onion, diced 80g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Massel Ingredients: 500g gnocchi 2 potatoes, diced 1 clove of garlic, chopped 1 tsp dried chillies 1 leek, sliced 2 rosemary sprigs 100g pancetta, rind removed and diced 500ml Massel Veg Stock Method:...