Sichuan Salt and Pepper SpareribsMatt Sinclair
- 1 kg pork spareribs, cut crosswise into thirds * (ask the butcher – about 1 ½ inches in length)
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 25ml light soy sauce
- 25ml Shaoxing wine
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp potato flour (or plain flour as a substitute)
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Soak the ribs in water for about 30 minutes and drain well.
- Dry roast the peppercorns over a low-medium heat in a small saucepan until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind to a powder (some bits will remain larger). Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and combine with the 5-spice, salt, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil. Coat the ribs in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum or 3 hours, ideally overnight.
- Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a deep-fryer or pot of oil to 180C.
- Combine the egg and flour in a medium bowl and mix to form a cream-like consistency. Add a little water if needed.
- Working in batches, dip the marinated pork into the batter and carefully transfer to the fryer. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until golden and crispy, breaking them apart to avoid them sticking together. Remove, strain and transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining pork. Serve hot and garnish with spring onion.
- Note: * ribs from younger pigs work best
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...