Sichuan Salt and Pepper SpareribsMatt Sinclair
- 1 kg pork spareribs, cut crosswise into thirds * (ask the butcher – about 1 ½ inches in length)
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 25ml light soy sauce
- 25ml Shaoxing wine
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 Tbsp potato flour (or plain flour as a substitute)
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Soak the ribs in water for about 30 minutes and drain well.
- Dry roast the peppercorns over a low-medium heat in a small saucepan until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and grind to a powder (some bits will remain larger). Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and combine with the 5-spice, salt, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil. Coat the ribs in the marinade, cover and refrigerate for a minimum or 3 hours, ideally overnight.
- Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat a deep-fryer or pot of oil to 180C.
- Combine the egg and flour in a medium bowl and mix to form a cream-like consistency. Add a little water if needed.
- Working in batches, dip the marinated pork into the batter and carefully transfer to the fryer. Cook for about 5-6 minutes until golden and crispy, breaking them apart to avoid them sticking together. Remove, strain and transfer to paper towel. Repeat with remaining pork. Serve hot and garnish with spring onion.
- Note: * ribs from younger pigs work best
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Shiraz.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...