Singapore NoodlesMatt Sinclair
- 250gm dried vermicelli noodles
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 250gm Gai lan, chopped
- 100gm snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 500gm peeled and deveined green prawns, chopped
- 4 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup curry powder *to taste
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ¼ cup Shaoxing wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Ketcup Manis
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in warm water until just tender, about 3-4 minutes. Strain and set aside. Be sure not to overcook them or they will be too soft to fry off later.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the egg and swirl around the wok to coat the bottom and scrape up the sides to cook until just set. Roll up into an omelette and turn out onto a chopping board, chop into bite sized pieces and leave to one side. Return the wok to the heat with the remaining oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and fry off for 1 minute before adding the garlic and ginger and frying for another minute. Add the Gai lan and snap peas and toss to combine. Add the prawns and lap cheong and stir fry, moving often until prawns are just cooked, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder, sugar and pepper and toss to coat. Pour in the Shaoxing wine and deglaze the pan quickly before adding the softened noodles, egg pieces and soy sauce. Stir Fry and toss together to combine for another minute or so or until everything is warmed though and evenly coated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Divide into serving bowls and garnish with a drizzle of ketcup manis, fresh chilli, spring onion and coriander.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gruner Veltliner.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...