Singapore NoodlesMatt Sinclair
- 250gm dried vermicelli noodles
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 250gm Gai lan, chopped
- 100gm snap peas, trimmed and halved
- 500gm peeled and deveined green prawns, chopped
- 4 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced diagonally
- ¼ cup curry powder *to taste
- 1 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ¼ cup Shaoxing wine
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Ketcup Manis
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Soak the vermicelli noodles in warm water until just tender, about 3-4 minutes. Strain and set aside. Be sure not to overcook them or they will be too soft to fry off later.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the egg and swirl around the wok to coat the bottom and scrape up the sides to cook until just set. Roll up into an omelette and turn out onto a chopping board, chop into bite sized pieces and leave to one side. Return the wok to the heat with the remaining oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the onions and fry off for 1 minute before adding the garlic and ginger and frying for another minute. Add the Gai lan and snap peas and toss to combine. Add the prawns and lap cheong and stir fry, moving often until prawns are just cooked, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the curry powder, sugar and pepper and toss to coat. Pour in the Shaoxing wine and deglaze the pan quickly before adding the softened noodles, egg pieces and soy sauce. Stir Fry and toss together to combine for another minute or so or until everything is warmed though and evenly coated.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required. Divide into serving bowls and garnish with a drizzle of ketcup manis, fresh chilli, spring onion and coriander.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Gruner Veltliner.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...