Toffee Apple FrangipaneMatt Sinclair
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, diced into chunks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 130g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 3 eggs
- 180g almond meal
- 75gm plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Spread the apple over the base of a non-stick fry pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Place over a low-medium heat for about 25-30 minutes until sugar starts to turn to a golden caramel. Don’t stir as you want to avoid it crystalizing. Cook until the caramel is evenly coloured, and apples have softened. Transfer mixture to a baking paper lined spring form cake tin (20-22cm) and set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the caramel is cooling, prepare the frangipane. Add the butter and sugar into a bowl of an electric mixer and beat using paddle attachment for about 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add the almond meal, baking powder, flour and a small pinch of salt and mix well on a medium speed to combine.
4. Pour frangipane over the toffee apple caramel and spread out evenly to the sides of the cake tin. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
5. Allow to cool slightly before releasing it from the pan and over to turn out, apples facing up. Allow to cool slightly before garnishing with toasted flaked almonds, lemon zest and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve with dollop cream.
Recipe can be baked in a non-stick oven proof frying pan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...
Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) plain flour 3 tsp baking powder 1 cup (250ml) milk 2 ripe bananas 1 egg 1/3 cup (80g) brown sugar 2 tsp vanilla bean paste 1 tsp ground cinnamon 50g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to brush 100g dark chocolate, chopped Golden syrup,...
Ingredients:Ingredients for the cookie dough 90g unsalted butter 80g soft light brown sugar 75g caster sugar 1tsp salt ½ tsp bicarbonate soda, sieved 1 eggs, whole 160g plain flour, sieved 100g milk chocolate buttons or block chopped 50g dark chocolate buttons or...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: Olive oil, for greasing 75g shelled pistachios 100g mixed seeds 250g rolled oats 8 Medjool dates 100g dried apricots 50g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100ml maple syrup 4...