Toffee Apple FrangipaneMatt Sinclair
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, diced into chunks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 130g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 3 eggs
- 180g almond meal
- 75gm plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Spread the apple over the base of a non-stick fry pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Place over a low-medium heat for about 25-30 minutes until sugar starts to turn to a golden caramel. Don’t stir as you want to avoid it crystalizing. Cook until the caramel is evenly coloured, and apples have softened. Transfer mixture to a baking paper lined spring form cake tin (20-22cm) and set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the caramel is cooling, prepare the frangipane. Add the butter and sugar into a bowl of an electric mixer and beat using paddle attachment for about 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add the almond meal, baking powder, flour and a small pinch of salt and mix well on a medium speed to combine.
4. Pour frangipane over the toffee apple caramel and spread out evenly to the sides of the cake tin. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
5. Allow to cool slightly before releasing it from the pan and over to turn out, apples facing up. Allow to cool slightly before garnishing with toasted flaked almonds, lemon zest and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve with dollop cream.
Recipe can be baked in a non-stick oven proof frying pan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Ingredients: Serves: 2 Ingredients: 2x Wedges of Pumpkin (skin on) 1x can of coconut milk 30ml Soy Sauce (to taste) 1 tbsp of Tom Yum Paste 1 chilli, finely sliced 1 punch of Thai basil 1 tbsp fried shallots Bubur Cha Cha: Kara coconut cream 2litres Pandan leaves 6pcs...
Ingredients: Filling: 200ml Yuzu Juice 250g Caster Sugar 400ml Double Cream 5 Free Range eggs 25g Shiro Miso White Premium Sweet Pastry Case: 200g Unsalted Butter Zest of a lemon 150g Icing Sugar 450g Flour, Plain 5 Whole Eggs Method: Filling: Bring the cream and...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 400g Dulce de leche 2 egg yolks 2 whole eggs 50g Flour 0000 20g Unsalted butter 4 Lady finger bananas 50 g brown sugar 50 g golden syrup Cocoa powder Coconut ice cream (store bought) Method: Preheat the oven to 180C Place the dulce the leche...
Ingredients: Makes: 12 2/3 cup plain flour 1/3 cup self raising flour 1/3 cup raw caster sugar 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup malted milk drink powder 75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled 1 egg 200g dark chocolate, melted Vanilla bean ice cream and sea salt flakes to...
Ingredients: Serves: 8 2 sheets shortcrust pastry ½ cup medjool dates 2 free range eggs ½ cup caster sugar 2-3 tsp lemon zest 250gm fresh ricotta ½ cup thickened cream 2 tbsp plain flour 1 tbsp icing sugar Method: Remove pastry and allow to thaw slightly before...
Ingredients: Base: 2 cups cashews 10 pitted dates 1 cup coconut 4 tbsp liquid coconut oil Pinch of salt 1 tsp raw cocoa powder Caramel: 1 cup almond butter 10 pitted dates 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp vanilla paste 3/4 cup coconut oil 1 tsp salt flakes Chocolate Topping:...