Toffee Apple FrangipaneMatt Sinclair
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, diced into chunks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 130g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 3 eggs
- 180g almond meal
- 75gm plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Spread the apple over the base of a non-stick fry pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Place over a low-medium heat for about 25-30 minutes until sugar starts to turn to a golden caramel. Don’t stir as you want to avoid it crystalizing. Cook until the caramel is evenly coloured, and apples have softened. Transfer mixture to a baking paper lined spring form cake tin (20-22cm) and set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the caramel is cooling, prepare the frangipane. Add the butter and sugar into a bowl of an electric mixer and beat using paddle attachment for about 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add the almond meal, baking powder, flour and a small pinch of salt and mix well on a medium speed to combine.
4. Pour frangipane over the toffee apple caramel and spread out evenly to the sides of the cake tin. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
5. Allow to cool slightly before releasing it from the pan and over to turn out, apples facing up. Allow to cool slightly before garnishing with toasted flaked almonds, lemon zest and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve with dollop cream.
Recipe can be baked in a non-stick oven proof frying pan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...