Toffee Apple FrangipaneMatt Sinclair
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, diced into chunks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 130g unsalted butter
- 160g caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 3 eggs
- 180g almond meal
- 75gm plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 60g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Spread the apple over the base of a non-stick fry pan and sprinkle over the sugar. Place over a low-medium heat for about 25-30 minutes until sugar starts to turn to a golden caramel. Don’t stir as you want to avoid it crystalizing. Cook until the caramel is evenly coloured, and apples have softened. Transfer mixture to a baking paper lined spring form cake tin (20-22cm) and set aside to cool slightly.
3. While the caramel is cooling, prepare the frangipane. Add the butter and sugar into a bowl of an electric mixer and beat using paddle attachment for about 6-8 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add the almond meal, baking powder, flour and a small pinch of salt and mix well on a medium speed to combine.
4. Pour frangipane over the toffee apple caramel and spread out evenly to the sides of the cake tin. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until golden.
5. Allow to cool slightly before releasing it from the pan and over to turn out, apples facing up. Allow to cool slightly before garnishing with toasted flaked almonds, lemon zest and a dusting of icing sugar. Serve with dollop cream.
Recipe can be baked in a non-stick oven proof frying pan.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Liqueur Topaque.
Banana Breakfast Bar
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
Raspberry Grappa Jam Drops
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Deep Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Crème Brûlèe Donuts
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
Banana Crepes with Banana Caramel
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...