Whole Roasted BroccoliMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms
- 1 whole broccoli
- 6 garlic cloves, grated, mixed with a little oil
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves and stalks separated
- 100g butter, diced
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, left whole
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 x crushed tomatoes tin
- Fire the BBQ up and grill the whole broccoli head side down. Melt down the butter with garlic and olive oil & thyme in a pot.
- Baste the broccoli with the garlic and butter mixture as it cooks. Cook until desired charr and texture. About 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your broccoli.
Spiced Tomato Sauce
- In the meantime, crush all the spices in a mortar and pestle.
- Saute down the onion and garlic until softened
- Add spice mixture and saute to cook off the spices
- Add your crushed tomatoes, stir and reduce until desired thickness.
- Serve lashings of sauce with whole roasted broccoli on top.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Fiano.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...