Whole Roasted BroccoliMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Velisha Farms
- 1 whole broccoli
- 6 garlic cloves, grated, mixed with a little oil
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves and stalks separated
- 100g butter, diced
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, left whole
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 green cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 x crushed tomatoes tin
- Fire the BBQ up and grill the whole broccoli head side down. Melt down the butter with garlic and olive oil & thyme in a pot.
- Baste the broccoli with the garlic and butter mixture as it cooks. Cook until desired charr and texture. About 15-20 minutes depending on the size of your broccoli.
Spiced Tomato Sauce
- In the meantime, crush all the spices in a mortar and pestle.
- Saute down the onion and garlic until softened
- Add spice mixture and saute to cook off the spices
- Add your crushed tomatoes, stir and reduce until desired thickness.
- Serve lashings of sauce with whole roasted broccoli on top.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Fiano.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...