Apple and Mixed Berry CobblerMike Reid
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Big 4
- 300g Blueberries frozen
- 300g Apples
- 1 small orange, juice only
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- For the cobbler topping
- 175g (white or wholemeal)
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 25g/1oz porridge oats
- 50g soft brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- 4 tbsp yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Chop the fruit into chunks. Don’t worry about the size being perfect, it is good to have a variety of chunks!
- Place the fruit into an ovenproof dish and pour over the orange juice and the brown sugar.
- Place the flour into a mixing bowl and chop the butter into small lumps. They can then rub in the butter roughly using their fingertips. This doesn’t have to be perfect, a few lumps are fine.
- Stir in the oats, sugar and spices to the cobbler mix and stir it through with a spoon or your hands.
- Add the yoghurt one spoonful at a time. You may need to mix with your hands to form a rough dough.
- Form the cobbler mix into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball and arrange them over the top of the fruit.
- Adult’s job: Place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the cobbler is golden-brown on top with the fruit bubbling up around the edges. Leave to cool before serving as the fruit filling will be very hot. Serve warm with ice cream, yoghurt or custard.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Moscato.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 125gm unsalted butter, softened 100gm caster sugar Zest of 2 oranges Zest of 1 lemon 200gm self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 20gm poppyseeds 2 eggs 140ml milk Rum Custard: 125ml milk 125ml thickened cream 3 large egg yolks 3 Tbsp caster...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 cups shiraz 1 cup water 2 cups sugar 10 cloves 2 cinnamon sticks 4 small – medium ripe pears Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: 500g ricotta 4 tbsp honey (see notes) 50g blue cheese (see notes) Zest of ½ lemon Finely chopped pistachios (see...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 Hotcakes: 1 cup plain flour, sifted 1 tsp baking powder 1 tbsp brown sugar ½ tsp salt ¾ cup buttermilk 4 eggs, separated 250g fresh ricotta Oil or butter 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted Mandarin Syrup: 150ml mandarin juice 1 Tbsp lemon...
Ingredients: A little butter, for greasing your tray 5 tablespoons sugar for lining your tray 2 ripe Riverland plums sliced into wedges For The Batter: 65g Blanched almond meal 20g Flour plain 160g Caster sugar 3 Whole free range eggs 4 Free range egg yolks 310g Pure...