Apple Tart TartinBen O'Donoghue
- 24cm cake tin or non-stick fry pan
- 7-8 granny smith apples peeled and cut into quarters
- 500g of puff pastry
- 2 vanilla pods split
- 250g caster sugar
- 100g butter
- 50ml of water
- Firstly make your caramel by dissolving the sugar with the water in a clean 24 cm pan. Boil the sugar mixture until the syrup starts to caramelize turning golden brown, at this point remove from the heat and add the butter and whisk together.
- Add the apple to the pan and toss to coat, then arrange the apple so that the rounded sides are facing down and they fit snugly together. Set aside.
- Lightly flour your bench and roll the puff pastry into a round as wide as the inside edge of your pan and trim so that it is vaguely round.
- Roll the pastry up around your rolling pin and lay/roll the pastry over your caramel and apple mixture. Tuck the edges into the pan and snuggly encase the apples.
- Place the pan back over the heat and bring the caramel back to the boil.
- Place into a hot oven at about 180 degrees and cook until the top is golden and crisp, about 25 minute.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest before turning out, just to avoid burning yourself with hot caramel.
- Serve warm for best results with the best vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...