Apricot and Almond TartBen O'Donoghue
- 335 g/11 ½ oz plain Laucke flour
- 100 g/4 oz icing sugar
- 235 g/8 ½ oz unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 250 g/9 oz unsalted butter, cubed
- 250 g/9 oz caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 250 g/9 oz almond meal
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 6-8 fresh apricots
- Icing sugar, to serve
- To make the pastry, place the flour, sugar and butter in a food processor, and blend to a fine breadcrumb texture. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, and mix until the dough just comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- To make the filling, pulse the almonds in a food processor to a coarse crumb.
- Whisk the butter and sugar in a food processor to give a soft but not overly whipped mixture. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla pod and add the almond meal and salt. Mix thoroughly. Then add the eggs one by one in fluted loose-bottomed tart tin. Grate half of the pastry into the prepared tin.
- Using the tips of your fingers, press the pastry over the base. Grate the remaining pastry in and press into the edges of the tin, to the same thickness as the bottom. Rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Bake the tart case, uncovered, for 15 minutes until lightly golden, Set aside to cool.
- Cut your apricots in half and remove the seeds. Toss them in vanilla sugar if you have but not necessary. Pour your filling into the tart shell and arrange you apricots cut side up evenly to fill the tart.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until just firm and golden brown. Allow to cool.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...