Asian Steamed FishBen O'Donoghue
- 1tbsp whole white peppercorns
- 2tbsp grated fresh turmeric
- 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 thinly sliced cloves
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- 5 coriander roots (from a fresh bunch)
- 1kg Ling, scaled, cleaned
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 10 dried long red chillies
- 24 fresh curry leaves
- Pound peppercorns, turmeric, ginger, chopped garlic, juice and coriander roots to a rough paste using a mortar and pestle (or small processor).
- Score fish on both sides at 1cm intervals, then rub in paste.
- Invert 2 small heat proof plates in the base of a fish kettle or a large flameproof roasting pan.
- Pour about 2.5cm of boiling water into the fish kettle (you’ll need to place it over 2 burners).
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place fish on the kettle rack and lower onto plates, ensuring fish isn’t touching water.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on size of the fish (topping up the water if necessary) until cooked through. Carefully remove fish and place on a long platter.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a small heavy-based saucepan with oil and heat to 190°c (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when hot). Add onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat with sliced garlic for 20 seconds until golden, then with chilli and curry leaves for 30 seconds until crisp. carefully place the fish on a platter, top with fried ingredients and 2tbsp of the hot oil, then serve with lime.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...