Asian Steamed FishBen O'Donoghue
- 1tbsp whole white peppercorns
- 2tbsp grated fresh turmeric
- 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 thinly sliced cloves
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- 5 coriander roots (from a fresh bunch)
- 1kg Ling, scaled, cleaned
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 10 dried long red chillies
- 24 fresh curry leaves
- Pound peppercorns, turmeric, ginger, chopped garlic, juice and coriander roots to a rough paste using a mortar and pestle (or small processor).
- Score fish on both sides at 1cm intervals, then rub in paste.
- Invert 2 small heat proof plates in the base of a fish kettle or a large flameproof roasting pan.
- Pour about 2.5cm of boiling water into the fish kettle (you’ll need to place it over 2 burners).
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place fish on the kettle rack and lower onto plates, ensuring fish isn’t touching water.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on size of the fish (topping up the water if necessary) until cooked through. Carefully remove fish and place on a long platter.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a small heavy-based saucepan with oil and heat to 190°c (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when hot). Add onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat with sliced garlic for 20 seconds until golden, then with chilli and curry leaves for 30 seconds until crisp. carefully place the fish on a platter, top with fried ingredients and 2tbsp of the hot oil, then serve with lime.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...