Asian Steamed FishBen O'Donoghue
- 1tbsp whole white peppercorns
- 2tbsp grated fresh turmeric
- 1 heaped tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 thinly sliced cloves
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- 5 coriander roots (from a fresh bunch)
- 1kg Ling, scaled, cleaned
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 1 onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 10 dried long red chillies
- 24 fresh curry leaves
- Pound peppercorns, turmeric, ginger, chopped garlic, juice and coriander roots to a rough paste using a mortar and pestle (or small processor).
- Score fish on both sides at 1cm intervals, then rub in paste.
- Invert 2 small heat proof plates in the base of a fish kettle or a large flameproof roasting pan.
- Pour about 2.5cm of boiling water into the fish kettle (you’ll need to place it over 2 burners).
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place fish on the kettle rack and lower onto plates, ensuring fish isn’t touching water.
- Cover with a lid or foil and cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on size of the fish (topping up the water if necessary) until cooked through. Carefully remove fish and place on a long platter.
- Meanwhile, half-fill a small heavy-based saucepan with oil and heat to 190°c (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when hot). Add onion and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Repeat with sliced garlic for 20 seconds until golden, then with chilli and curry leaves for 30 seconds until crisp. carefully place the fish on a platter, top with fried ingredients and 2tbsp of the hot oil, then serve with lime.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...