Award Winning Poached Pear DessertNaheda Hassan
- 2 cups shiraz
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 small – medium ripe pears
Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream:
- 500g ricotta
- 4 tbsp honey (see notes)
- 50g blue cheese (see notes)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Finely chopped pistachios (see notes)
To poach pears:
- Place Shiraz, water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.
- Peel pears and, leaving pears whole, remove cores (optional).
- Add pears to the syrup and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook pears gently until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove pears and set aside to cool. Return syrup to boil and cook until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: Using a stick blender, combine ricotta, honey, blue cheese and lemon zest until smooth.
- To serve: Place a thick strip of Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream on each serving plate and place a thin strip of chopped pistachios on top. Arrange one pear alongside, carefully spoon a little syrup over each pear and serve at once.
- Use less honey if desired.
- Naheda recommends using an extra creamy Danish blue for this recipe. If using Gorgonzola, only use half the amount to prevent overpowering other flavours.
- Try using different nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botrytis Semillon.
Ingredients: 300 g dairy-free margarine 300 g gluten-free plain flour , plus extra for dusting 300 g golden caster sugar 4 large free-range eggs 3 lemons 2 oranges 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder ½ teaspoon xanthan gum 100 g icing sugar Method: Preheat the oven...
Ingredients: 150g dark chocolate 64%, roughly chopped 100ml olive oil 4 large free-range eggs, at room temperature, separated ¼ tsp Sea salt 50g caster sugar Method: Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a large heatproof bowl suspended over a pan of...
Ingredients:Makes 6–8 400 g fresh pitted or frozen and thawed cherries 180 g (2 cups) desiccated coconut250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, warm 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or powder 220 g (1 cup) cacao butter125 g (1 cup) cacao powder...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 2 punnets Perfection Fresh raspberries 2 bananas, frozen ½ cup milk (or dairy-free alternative) 2tbs maple syrup 1tsp vanilla extract 1 punnet Perfection Fresh raspberries, to...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 2cups of water Rind of approx 1 lemon 3 tsp vanilla essence 3 cups self raising flour 1/3 cup of caster sugar 240g fresh ricotta cubed small Vegetable oil for frying Caster Sugar & cinnamon for coating Method: Whisk eggs until fluffy. Add 2...
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: Perfection Fresh Blueberries Perfection Fresh Strawberries Mascarpone Balsamic Vinegar 2 Tsp Cinnamon 2 tsp Vanilla essence Nutmeg 3 Tsp Icing Sugar Method: Cut the tops off the...