Award Winning Poached Pear DessertNaheda Hassan
- 2 cups shiraz
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 small – medium ripe pears
Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream:
- 500g ricotta
- 4 tbsp honey (see notes)
- 50g blue cheese (see notes)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Finely chopped pistachios (see notes)
To poach pears:
- Place Shiraz, water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.
- Peel pears and, leaving pears whole, remove cores (optional).
- Add pears to the syrup and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook pears gently until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove pears and set aside to cool. Return syrup to boil and cook until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: Using a stick blender, combine ricotta, honey, blue cheese and lemon zest until smooth.
- To serve: Place a thick strip of Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream on each serving plate and place a thin strip of chopped pistachios on top. Arrange one pear alongside, carefully spoon a little syrup over each pear and serve at once.
- Use less honey if desired.
- Naheda recommends using an extra creamy Danish blue for this recipe. If using Gorgonzola, only use half the amount to prevent overpowering other flavours.
- Try using different nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botrytis Semillon.
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 125gm unsalted butter, softened 100gm caster sugar Zest of 2 oranges Zest of 1 lemon 200gm self-raising flour 1 tsp baking powder 20gm poppyseeds 2 eggs 140ml milk Rum Custard: 125ml milk 125ml thickened cream 3 large egg yolks 3 Tbsp caster...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Big 4 300g Blueberries frozen 300g Apples 1 small orange, juice only 2 tbsp soft brown sugar For the cobbler topping 175g (white or wholemeal) 100g unsalted butter, softened 25g/1oz porridge oats 50g...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 Hotcakes: 1 cup plain flour, sifted 1 tsp baking powder 1 tbsp brown sugar ½ tsp salt ¾ cup buttermilk 4 eggs, separated 250g fresh ricotta Oil or butter 100g flaked almonds, lightly toasted Mandarin Syrup: 150ml mandarin juice 1 Tbsp lemon...
Ingredients: A little butter, for greasing your tray 5 tablespoons sugar for lining your tray 2 ripe Riverland plums sliced into wedges For The Batter: 65g Blanched almond meal 20g Flour plain 160g Caster sugar 3 Whole free range eggs 4 Free range egg yolks 310g Pure...