Award Winning Poached Pear DessertNaheda Hassan
- 2 cups shiraz
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 small – medium ripe pears
Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream:
- 500g ricotta
- 4 tbsp honey (see notes)
- 50g blue cheese (see notes)
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Finely chopped pistachios (see notes)
To poach pears:
- Place Shiraz, water, sugar, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved.
- Peel pears and, leaving pears whole, remove cores (optional).
- Add pears to the syrup and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook pears gently until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove pears and set aside to cool. Return syrup to boil and cook until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, prepare Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream: Using a stick blender, combine ricotta, honey, blue cheese and lemon zest until smooth.
- To serve: Place a thick strip of Ricotta & Blue Cheese Cream on each serving plate and place a thin strip of chopped pistachios on top. Arrange one pear alongside, carefully spoon a little syrup over each pear and serve at once.
- Use less honey if desired.
- Naheda recommends using an extra creamy Danish blue for this recipe. If using Gorgonzola, only use half the amount to prevent overpowering other flavours.
- Try using different nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botrytis Semillon.
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...