Beef BiryaniBen O'Donoghue
- 500g beef skirt steak sliced thinly
- 500g Basmati rice
- 50ml of milk
- 1 pinch of fresh saffron
- 50g ginger pureed
- 50g garlic pureed
- 3-4 red chillies pureed (add a little sunflower oil to these to help puree)
- 150g yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 20g papaya puree
- 100ml Vegetable oil
- 5g cardamom pods crushed
- 5g cinnamon sticks broken
- 5g cloves whole
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 250g sliced onions
- 75g tomato paste
- 1-cup mint leaves
- 1/2-cup coriander leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 20g garam masala
- Combine the marinade ingredients with the sliced skirt steak.
- Shallow fry half the onions until golden and a little crisp, drain and keep aside.
- Soak the milk with the saffron and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan heat the oil used to cook the onions and add the crushed cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and the bay leaf, then add the onion and fry until slightly golden.
- Add the beef skirt and stir for 10 minutes over a medium to high heat. Mix in the tomato paste and the marinade and simmer on a low heat for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Wash and drain the rice then boil the rice until 2/3 cooked. Drain and arrange it on top of the sauce, alternating layers with the fried onion and chopped mint and coriander.
- Pour the saffron milk over the top and cover with a tight fitting lid in a medium oven 170 degrees for 20 minutes
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...