Beef BiryaniBen O'Donoghue
- 500g beef skirt steak sliced thinly
- 500g Basmati rice
- 50ml of milk
- 1 pinch of fresh saffron
- 50g ginger pureed
- 50g garlic pureed
- 3-4 red chillies pureed (add a little sunflower oil to these to help puree)
- 150g yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 20g papaya puree
- 100ml Vegetable oil
- 5g cardamom pods crushed
- 5g cinnamon sticks broken
- 5g cloves whole
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 250g sliced onions
- 75g tomato paste
- 1-cup mint leaves
- 1/2-cup coriander leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 20g garam masala
- Combine the marinade ingredients with the sliced skirt steak.
- Shallow fry half the onions until golden and a little crisp, drain and keep aside.
- Soak the milk with the saffron and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan heat the oil used to cook the onions and add the crushed cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and the bay leaf, then add the onion and fry until slightly golden.
- Add the beef skirt and stir for 10 minutes over a medium to high heat. Mix in the tomato paste and the marinade and simmer on a low heat for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Wash and drain the rice then boil the rice until 2/3 cooked. Drain and arrange it on top of the sauce, alternating layers with the fried onion and chopped mint and coriander.
- Pour the saffron milk over the top and cover with a tight fitting lid in a medium oven 170 degrees for 20 minutes
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...