Beef BiryaniBen O'Donoghue
- 500g beef skirt steak sliced thinly
- 500g Basmati rice
- 50ml of milk
- 1 pinch of fresh saffron
- 50g ginger pureed
- 50g garlic pureed
- 3-4 red chillies pureed (add a little sunflower oil to these to help puree)
- 150g yoghurt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 20g papaya puree
- 100ml Vegetable oil
- 5g cardamom pods crushed
- 5g cinnamon sticks broken
- 5g cloves whole
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 250g sliced onions
- 75g tomato paste
- 1-cup mint leaves
- 1/2-cup coriander leaves
- 3 green chillies
- 20g garam masala
- Combine the marinade ingredients with the sliced skirt steak.
- Shallow fry half the onions until golden and a little crisp, drain and keep aside.
- Soak the milk with the saffron and set aside.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan heat the oil used to cook the onions and add the crushed cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and the bay leaf, then add the onion and fry until slightly golden.
- Add the beef skirt and stir for 10 minutes over a medium to high heat. Mix in the tomato paste and the marinade and simmer on a low heat for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Wash and drain the rice then boil the rice until 2/3 cooked. Drain and arrange it on top of the sauce, alternating layers with the fried onion and chopped mint and coriander.
- Pour the saffron milk over the top and cover with a tight fitting lid in a medium oven 170 degrees for 20 minutes
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...