Beef Shin PieMike Reid
Braised Beef Shins:
- 1k Beef shin
- 5ml Veg oil
- 100g Brown onion – cut into quarters
- 30g Leeks
- 3g Fresh thyme
- 2 nos Bay leaf
- 10g Garlic cloves
- 100g Carrots
- 60g Tomato puree
- 125ml Red wine
- 25ml Cognac
- 600ml beef stock
- 340g Plain Flour
- 150g Butter, unsalted
- 120g Grated cheddar
- 6 Tbsp water, chilled
- In a hot large thick bottomed pan sear the shin until nicely browned. Remove once browned both sides.
- In the same pan, caramelise the vegetables and season with maldon.
- Once vegetables caramelised, add the herbs and cook for a minute. Add the tomato puree and brown.
- Place shin back in the pan and add the red wine and cognac then reduce by half.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a greaseproof paper cartouche and cook on a low heat for 4 hours (add water if stock reduces below the shin).
- Once cooked, remove shin and reduce sauce until thick.
- Pull shin using two forks, season and add back.
- For the pastry, mix flour and butter together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Then add in your cheese and your water a little at a time until your mixture comes together as a nice dough. *Be sure to add water to the eye as you do not need all of it.
- Chill dough for about 20 minutes in your fridge.
- Preheat the oven at 200*.
- Roll out your pastry and place in your tin. Leaving enough behind to cover the top. Make sure you fork the bottom to stop the rise of the pastry when cooking.
- Fill the middle with your chilled pulled beef mix.
- Place your lid on the top using a little water to seal it and crink the edges together.
- Egg wash the top and create a small cross in the middle of the pie with your knife to allow the steam out as you bake.
- Cook for about 45 minutes.