Bloody Mary Lamb BruschettaBen O'Donoghue
- 1x 2 kg lamb shoulder, easy-carve or shoulder blade removed
- 12 prunes, pitted
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary, broken and leaves removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 100 g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery heart, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 2x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 150 ml vodka
- 2 cups chicken stock or beef stock
- 1 loaf sourdough
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Make incisions in the lamb shoulder with a small knife and stuff with the prunes and rosemary. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, and sear the shoulder on all sides. Set aside to rest.
- Clean the pan and melt the butter. Add the onion and celery and cook over medium heat to soften. Add the garlic and bay leaves, followed by the tomatoes, paprika and vodka. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Place the seared leg of lamb in the pan so you have a snug fit, then add the stock. Cover with a loosely fitted piece of baking paper. Place in the oven and cook for 2.5 – 3 hours, until the meat is well cooked and the sauce is thick.
- Cut thick slices of sourdough and grill in a ridged pan on both sides. Rub with a clove of garlic and drizzle with good olive oil.
- Allow the lamb to rest for at least 30 minutes, then break into chunks and arrange over the toast.
- Chop the remaining clove of garlic, then dress the lamb with some sauce, parsley, lemon zest, chopped garlic, salt and pepper.
Ingredients: 500g dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight 1-2 sticks of celery, finely chopped 1 large onion, chopped 150ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving Juice of 1 lemon, or more if needed 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped A sprinkling...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 1 small onion, chopped 2 garlic cloves, chopped 1 cup chopped carrot 10 habanero or carolina reaper chillies 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) lime juice 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) white vinegar 1 teaspoon English mustard 1 teaspoon salt 250 ml...
Ingredients: Makes 6 - 8 large muffins depending on amount of filling 500gm flour 500ml milk 2 eggs 20gm Baking powder 1 cup veg oil Equipment 1 x Large 6 Muffin tray Baking paper cut into 15x15cm square and cut from point ¾ into the center to make a windmill kind of...
Ingredients: 2 tbsp olive oil 1kg potatoes, cubes 1 onion, diced 2 sticks celery, sliced 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped 1 butternut pumpkin (1.5-2kg), cubed 3 saffron threads Pinch of salt and pepper Sprig of Rosemary 1.5 litres chicken stock 1 carrot, chopped...
Ingredients: Serves 2 1 tbsp Australian extra virgin olive oil 1 Australian red onion Small bunch Australian spring onions Small bunch Australian Kale 1 Australian red capsicum 1 clove Australian garlic ½ tsp cumin 1 tsp paprika Pinch cayenne pepper (optional) 1 tin...
Ingredients: 8 chicken thigh skin on Brine 500ml butter milk 1 onion 2 cloves garlic 1tbsp salt 1tsp cracked black pepper Dressing 1 cup Sour cream 1 cup Buttermilk 2 tbsp chopped Chives 1 tbsp Dijon mustard 1 tbsp Honey 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar 1 cup Extra Virgin...