Boston Baked BeansBen O'Donoghue
- 500g of Borlotti Beans
- 250gm pancetta cut into cubes
- 1 brown onion diced
- 150gm molasses
- 1½ tbsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. Hot English mustard
- 500gm tomato ketchup
- 75 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 100gm soft brown sugar
- 1 whole tomato
- 1 bay leaf
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with about 4lt of cold water
- Put the whole tomato, bay leaf and olive oil into the pot and cover with a lid. Bring to the boil and simmer until the beans are plump and soft. If the water level gets low so the beans are uncovered add more boiling water so they are well covered
- While the beans cook preheat your oven 160 degrees
- In a separate pot or bowl combine the diced onion, pancetta, Mustard, pepper, ketchup, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and sugar
- Once the beans are soft and fully cooked, drain off any excess liquid. (Keep the excess liquid) so that the beans are only just covered. Stir in the sauce, onion and pancetta mixture and combine well.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish or leave in the pot and cover with a tight lid or foil
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for two hours. Remove from the oven and if needed add a little of the reserved water bake into the beans if they are to dry
- Season to taste.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...