Breaded Squid, Herb SaladMike Reid
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 75g plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 medium squid, cleaned, quills and beaks removed, sliced into 0.5cm / ½ inch rings
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 75g Japanese panko breadcrumbs
- Assortment of fresh herbs, chervil, parsley, coriander, mint, chive flowers
- 50ml Early Harvest Olive Oil
- 3 lemons, cut in half,
- 2 free-range egg yolks
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 200ml rapeseed oil or light olive oil
- For the roasted lemon mayonnaise, heat a griddle pan until hot and griddle the lemon halves, cut-side down, for one minute.
- Blend the egg yolks, vinegar and mustard into a food processor, then squeeze in the juice from one of the charred lemons and blend until well combined. While the motor is running, gradually add the oil. Continue until all the oil has been added and the mayonnaise has thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the squid, dredge in flour, then egg and breadcrumbs. Fry until golden, only a few minutes to not overcook the squid. Drain on a paper towel.
- Dress the herbs in olive oil and serve alongside squid and mayonnaise
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Sauvignon Blanc.
Ingredients: 9 cherry tomatoes, halved 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced 2 tsp good-quality olive oil 1 tsp balsamic vinegar 5 basil leaves, torn, plus a few extra to serve if you like 5 pitted olives, sliced 2 large free-range egg 1 tsp small capers, rinsed salt...
Ingredients: Leftover Spaghetti Bolognese Sliced white bread Mozzarella Smoked mozzarella Grated Parmesan Butter Olive oil Mayo Pesto Salt and pepper Method: Place a scoop of pasta on one side of the bread. Then grate up your 3 cheeses and place on the other side of...
Ingredients: 250g Walnuts 250g Hazelnuts 250g Macadamia nuts 125g Pumpkin seeds 125g Sunflower seeds 60g Butter, unsalted 2 Tbsp Honey, Mr Noons honeycomb 1 Tsp Cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp Rosemary, finely chopped 1 Tbsp Cognac Method: Preheat oven to 180* Prepare...
Client - That’s Amore Cheese Typically from Puglia, this fresh creamy cheese has gained more and more popularity in the past few years, not only in Italy but overseas. Burrata is a fresh, handmade cow's milk cheese made from mozzarella and cream and it can be used in...
Ingredients: 150g guanciale, diced 3 eggs, whisked 200g pecorino cheese, grated Black pepper Salt Method: Add salt to a pot of water, and bring to a boil. Cook your pasta until al dente. In a frying pan, add the guanciale on low heat and allow it to render out the...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...