- 2 eggplants, cut in large cubes (up the number of eggplants depending on how many of you there is – I usually allow one large-ish eggplant per person if this is main meal)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of pureed ginger (mince it yourself on a micro-plane)
- 1 tablespoon of pureed garlic (in a press)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped tin tomatoes (use the whole tin – no waste)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon of cumin
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander (don’t stinge here)
- 1 litre of sunflower oil (for frying)
- Salt the eggplants and let stand for 20-30minutes to help reduce the moisture.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the eggplant chunks until they are golden and soft, then remove and drain. Don’t cook all the eggplant at once, keep repeating the process until it’s all cooked. Remove all the oil except for 3 tablespoons.
- Reheat this oil. Add the sliced onions and season with a teaspoon of salt. Fry for 5 minutes until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the spices and pureed garlic and ginger and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and combine. Then add the drained eggplant and fold together.
- Turn off the heat and season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Then add chopped coriander and leave to settle (as you would steak or other meat after cooking).
- Sometimes I sprinkle more fresh coriander on the top – and even a few Chinese fried shallots just for presentation at serving
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...