- 2 eggplants, cut in large cubes (up the number of eggplants depending on how many of you there is – I usually allow one large-ish eggplant per person if this is main meal)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon of pureed ginger (mince it yourself on a micro-plane)
- 1 tablespoon of pureed garlic (in a press)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped tin tomatoes (use the whole tin – no waste)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of ground coriander
- ½ tablespoon of cumin
- ½ tablespoon of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander (don’t stinge here)
- 1 litre of sunflower oil (for frying)
- Salt the eggplants and let stand for 20-30minutes to help reduce the moisture.
- Heat the oil in a wok and fry the eggplant chunks until they are golden and soft, then remove and drain. Don’t cook all the eggplant at once, keep repeating the process until it’s all cooked. Remove all the oil except for 3 tablespoons.
- Reheat this oil. Add the sliced onions and season with a teaspoon of salt. Fry for 5 minutes until soft and starting to brown.
- Add the spices and pureed garlic and ginger and fry for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and combine. Then add the drained eggplant and fold together.
- Turn off the heat and season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Then add chopped coriander and leave to settle (as you would steak or other meat after cooking).
- Sometimes I sprinkle more fresh coriander on the top – and even a few Chinese fried shallots just for presentation at serving
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...