Brioche French Toast with Bruleed BananaJacob Leung
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 8 thick slices of brioche
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 40g butter
- 2 lady finger bananas
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Edible flowers to garnish
- Ice cream to serve
- Evenly spread the Nutella over 4 slices of the brioche. Top with the remaining slices of brioche.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip the brioche sandwiches in the egg mix and allow to soak for 2 minutes.
- In a frypan over medium heat add butter. Once the butter has melted and starts to bubble add one brioche sandwich. Cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches until all cooked.
- While the french toast is cooking, slice the bananas lengthways with the skin on. Evenly sprinkle with caster sugar and, using a blow torch, brulee the top of each banana until the sugar melts and crystallizes. Alternatively place the bananas under a grill on high for 6 minutes.
- To serve, place a piece of french toast on a serving plate alongside half a bruleed banana. Top with chopped pistachios, maple syrup, edible flowers and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botyrtis Semillon.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: 2 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted 1 ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt ½ cup brown sugar ½ cup caster sugar 60gm unsalted butter, melted, cooled 3 eggs, room temperature 100gm flaked almonds, lightly toasted Chai Spice Mix: 1 tsp ground ginger 1 tsp ground...