Brioche French Toast with Bruleed BananaJacob Leung
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 8 thick slices of brioche
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 40g butter
- 2 lady finger bananas
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Edible flowers to garnish
- Ice cream to serve
- Evenly spread the Nutella over 4 slices of the brioche. Top with the remaining slices of brioche.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip the brioche sandwiches in the egg mix and allow to soak for 2 minutes.
- In a frypan over medium heat add butter. Once the butter has melted and starts to bubble add one brioche sandwich. Cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches until all cooked.
- While the french toast is cooking, slice the bananas lengthways with the skin on. Evenly sprinkle with caster sugar and, using a blow torch, brulee the top of each banana until the sugar melts and crystallizes. Alternatively place the bananas under a grill on high for 6 minutes.
- To serve, place a piece of french toast on a serving plate alongside half a bruleed banana. Top with chopped pistachios, maple syrup, edible flowers and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botyrtis Semillon.
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...