Brioche French Toast with Bruleed BananaJacob Leung
- ¼ cup Nutella
- 8 thick slices of brioche
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- 40g butter
- 2 lady finger bananas
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 160g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup pistachios, chopped
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Edible flowers to garnish
- Ice cream to serve
- Evenly spread the Nutella over 4 slices of the brioche. Top with the remaining slices of brioche.
- In a mixing bowl whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. Dip the brioche sandwiches in the egg mix and allow to soak for 2 minutes.
- In a frypan over medium heat add butter. Once the butter has melted and starts to bubble add one brioche sandwich. Cook for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches until all cooked.
- While the french toast is cooking, slice the bananas lengthways with the skin on. Evenly sprinkle with caster sugar and, using a blow torch, brulee the top of each banana until the sugar melts and crystallizes. Alternatively place the bananas under a grill on high for 6 minutes.
- To serve, place a piece of french toast on a serving plate alongside half a bruleed banana. Top with chopped pistachios, maple syrup, edible flowers and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botyrtis Semillon.
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...