- 340g plain flour
- 80g lard
- 70g icing sugar
- 125ml marsala
- 2 yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 3 yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g cornflour
- 1l warm milk
Cooking and Serving
- Canola oil, for frying
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- For the pastry, mix the flour and lard together in a large mixing bowl, then add all the other ingredients and form the dough. Alternatively (if using butter), combine the flour and butter in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs, then add the remaining ingredients to form a dough. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 1 hour.
- Set up a pasta machine, divide the dough into four portions and roll each through the machine, adjusting the settings until the dough is 1 mm thick.
Lay the sheets on a lightly floured surface and cut circle shapes (by hand) to 10 cm in diameter. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and wrap over a cannoli mould.
- Pour canola oil into a small saucepan until it’s one-third full and place over a medium–high heat until the oil is 180°C. Drop a small piece of dough into the hot oil to test if it’s ready – if it turns a golden colour straight away, the oil is hot enough. Deep-fry each cannoli for 30 seconds. Drain on a paper towel and remove the moulds.
- For the custard, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add the cornflour and a dash of milk and continue mixing until well combined, then add the remaining milk.
- Add the vanilla bean and seeds to the mixture, pour it into a medium saucepan and cook over a low–medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and starts to boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Once the custard has cooked, remove the vanilla bean.
- Cool the custard. Once cooled, pour into a piping bag with a 2 cm nozzle and pipe into the cannoli shells. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botrytis Viognier.
Ingredients:BASE 3 Egg Yolks 1/2 cup Caster Sugar 125g soft butter 2 cups Self-Raising flour 1 cup orange juice Vanilla TOPPING 3 egg whites 1/2 cup caster sugar 1 cup desiccated coconut Method: Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add yolks and vanilla. Fold in the...
Ingredients: Plant-based milk Chia seeds Cacao powder Maple syrup Vanilla extract or paste Method: Combine all of the ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If you prefer to eat the seeds whole, you can skip the blender and combine the ingredients...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life.Ingredients: 2 salmon fillets, skin off 1 cup edamame beans, frozen and blanched 1 Lebanese cucumber, sliced thinly 1 carrot, ribboned 1 avocado, diced 1/2 bunch spring onions, sliced 1 cup cooked brown...
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...