- 340g plain flour
- 80g lard
- 70g icing sugar
- 125ml marsala
- 2 yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 3 yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g cornflour
- 1l warm milk
Cooking and Serving
- Canola oil, for frying
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- For the pastry, mix the flour and lard together in a large mixing bowl, then add all the other ingredients and form the dough. Alternatively (if using butter), combine the flour and butter in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs, then add the remaining ingredients to form a dough. Cover with plastic wrap and rest for 1 hour.
- Set up a pasta machine, divide the dough into four portions and roll each through the machine, adjusting the settings until the dough is 1 mm thick.
Lay the sheets on a lightly floured surface and cut circle shapes (by hand) to 10 cm in diameter. Brush the edges with the beaten egg and wrap over a cannoli mould.
- Pour canola oil into a small saucepan until it’s one-third full and place over a medium–high heat until the oil is 180°C. Drop a small piece of dough into the hot oil to test if it’s ready – if it turns a golden colour straight away, the oil is hot enough. Deep-fry each cannoli for 30 seconds. Drain on a paper towel and remove the moulds.
- For the custard, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add the cornflour and a dash of milk and continue mixing until well combined, then add the remaining milk.
- Add the vanilla bean and seeds to the mixture, pour it into a medium saucepan and cook over a low–medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens and starts to boil, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Once the custard has cooked, remove the vanilla bean.
- Cool the custard. Once cooled, pour into a piping bag with a 2 cm nozzle and pipe into the cannoli shells. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Botrytis Viognier.
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...