Cauliflower Cheese & Beetroot RelishMike Reid
- 1 whole cauliflower
- 300g mornay sauce (See Croque Madame recipe)
- 80g smoked almonds, chopped and grated
For the Beetroot Relish:
- 3 large beets – trimmed and peeled
- 1 red onion – finely chopped
- 2 apples – cored and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger – finely chopped
- 75g caster sugar
- 125ml apple cider vinegar
- 125ml water
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven at 200*C.
- Roast your cauliflower whole, cover with the butter and salt. Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil, and turn up the temperature to 220 and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Place your hot mornay sauce on top, followed by the relish and garnish with your nuts.
- Use a coarse hand or box grater to shred the peeled beets.
- Add them to a large pot with the onion, apple, ginger, salt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and water. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let the relish cook for 30 minutes. Take off the lid and simmer for another 10-15 minutes to let some of the excess water evaporate.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour out any liquid that’s still left in the pot.