Cherry DelightMike Reid
- 400 g fresh pitted or frozen and thawed cherries
- 180 g (2 cups) desiccated coconut
250 ml (1 cup) maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil, warm
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or powder
- 220 g (1 cup) cacao butter
125 g (1 cup) cacao powder
- Line a 20 cm square cake tin and a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the cherries, desiccated coconut and half the sweetener in a food processor and blitz to form a thick, chunky paste. Add the warm coconut oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla and pulse to combine well.
- Press the cherry mixture into the prepared cake tin and flatten and spread all the way to the edges with your hands. Transfer to the freezer for 60 minutes to chill and firm up.
- Meanwhile, melt the cacao butter in a glass bowl over a saucepan over medium–low heat. Whisk in the cacao powder, the remaining sweetener and vanilla until incorporated and nice and smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to thicken.
- Slice the cherry layer into six to eight bars, then dunk into the melted chocolate to coat completely. Place the coated bars on the prepared baking tray and return to the freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until the chocolate has set completely.
- Enjoy straight away or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.