Chilli MusselsBen O'Donoghue
- 50g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onion, whites chopped, green tops thinly sliced to garnish
- 1 kg live pot-ready mussels
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 375 ml can of beer of your choice (two big gulps worth)
- 3 long red chillies, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, to garnish
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium high heat. Add the butter, and when it begins to foam add the garlic and chopped spring onion and cook over a high heat, stirring to prevent burning for about 2 minutes
- Add the mussels and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, a good slug of beer and the chillies. Stir, then cover, and keep the heat high, give the saucepan a shake to move and open the mussels as they cook.
- When the majority of mussels have opened, spoon them out into a large bowl to serve.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and season with pepper and perhaps a little salt. Pour the sauce over the mussels and garnish with the spring onion tops and coriander.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Robert Oatley Signature Series Great Southern Riesling 2017 or Wignalls Cabernet Merlot 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...