Chilli MusselsBen O'Donoghue
- 50g butter
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch spring onion, whites chopped, green tops thinly sliced to garnish
- 1 kg live pot-ready mussels
- 400g can chopped plum tomatoes
- 375 ml can of beer of your choice (two big gulps worth)
- 3 long red chillies, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander, to garnish
- Heat a heavy-based saucepan over medium high heat. Add the butter, and when it begins to foam add the garlic and chopped spring onion and cook over a high heat, stirring to prevent burning for about 2 minutes
- Add the mussels and stir well.
- Add the tomatoes, a good slug of beer and the chillies. Stir, then cover, and keep the heat high, give the saucepan a shake to move and open the mussels as they cook.
- When the majority of mussels have opened, spoon them out into a large bowl to serve.
- Bring the sauce to the boil and season with pepper and perhaps a little salt. Pour the sauce over the mussels and garnish with the spring onion tops and coriander.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Robert Oatley Signature Series Great Southern Riesling 2017 or Wignalls Cabernet Merlot 2018
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...