Crab & Potato Crepe with Crème Fraiche and CaviarBen O'Donoghue
- 500g Dutch cream potato cooked and drained
- 45g plain flour
- 45g crème Fraiche
- 5 eggs (800g free-range eggs)
- 5g salt
- 2g white pepper
- 100g cubed Unsalted butter
- 250g Spanner crab or similar cooked crab meat
- 1/2 bunch Chives (cut half finely and then the remaining into match stick lengths)
- 1/4 bunch Dill picked
- 1/4 bunch Tarragon picked
- 1/4 bunch chervil optional picked
- 120g Cream Fraiche
- 100g Salmon caviar
- Combine the cooked Dutch cream potatoes in a food processor with the flour, crème Fraiche, eggs and seasoning and blend
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees
- In a bowl combine the potato batter with the crab meat and half of all the herbs finely chopped. With the remaining herbs reserve for garnish. Check the Seasoning of the batter and adjust
- If using one pan heat a pan large enough for the amount of batter. Add the butter and heat until foaming. Add the batter to the pan and cook over a medium heat until the butter foams and bubbles around the edges. Check to see if you can see the batter starting to colour.
- Place the whole pan in the oven and cook until the batter is firm to the touch and puffed up. 15 minutes (if using small pans follow the same principle but divide the batter equally between the pans)
- When the crepe is cooked turn it out onto a serving dish. Dollop the crème Fraiche in the middle of the crepe /crepes. Then dollop the caviar on top. Dress the herbs with a little olive oil and salt and garnish the crepe.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a TarraWarra Estate Farm Block Chardonnay 2016 or Soumah Pinot Noir 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...