Crispy EggplantElena Duggan
- 2 medium length eggplant or 6 Lebanese eggplant
- 1-2L vegetable or canola oil
- 4 spring onions, green only, finely sliced on an angle
- 20g Toasted Sesame seeds, ground in a mortar and pestle into a powder, not paste
- Murray River salt, to taste
- 50g Tapioca starch/ arrowroot flour
- 50g Rice flour, super fine
- Pinch salt/ to taste
- 15g Xantham Gum
- 500g Water
- 100g Stevia/ Monkfruit, granulated
- 100g Water
- 100g Soy Sauce, (gluten free alternatives available)
- 100g Black Vinegar
- 50g Red Vinegar
- 50g Soy bean paste
- 25g Chili paste
- pinch Sichuan peppercorns, finely crushed
- 10g Chili oil, quantity to taste
- 3cm thumb ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 3 long red chilies, finely chopped
- Spring onions, sliced on an angle finely
- Red chili, sliced on an angle finely
- Mung bean sprouts
- For the sauce, place stevia and water into a medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat until dissolved. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to a medium simmer.
- Place remaining sauce ingredients into the saucepan and simmer while stirring for 5-10minutes. To soften ingredients and thicken sauce. Remove from heat and allow cooling. Place in an airtight container and set aside.
- For the batter, place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blitz until thoroughly combined and a smooth batter has formed.
Preheat the oil in the work or deep fry pan to approx. 190º Celsius – without a thermometer, you can test temperature by placing bamboo chopsticks or a timber skewer in and if bubbles form quickly and rapidly you’re good to go.
- To prepare the eggplant, top and tail if necessary, wasting as little flesh as possible. Cut lengthways into long skinny wedges, so that each piece has skin. Cook eggplant in batches so as not to overcrowd the wok, which can reduce the temperature too much and cause the pieces to stick together while cooking.
- Gently toss the eggplant in the batter before gently lowering into the hot oil. Cook for about five minutes or batter is starting to turn golden. Remove gently with a spider strainer and drain on a wire rack.
- To serve, toss eggplant in sauce so each piece of eggplant is glistening, before sprinkling over sesame seeds and spring onions. Pour over more sauce as desired.
- Gluten free
- Nut free
- Vegan (ensuring sauces are vegan)
- Dairy free
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...