Crispy Rice Pancakes with Potato and ChickpeasBen O'Donoghue
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice (from about 40g uncooked rice)
- 1 cup (200g) rice flour
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 200g canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas, blanched, refreshed
- 1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Place the rice, rice flour, coconut milk and 1 cup (250ml) water in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Transfer to a jug, season with salt, then cover and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Place the potato in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Cook cumin, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until onion starts to soften. Add ginger, turmeric and ground coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add potato and chickpeas and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until potato is just golden. Add tomato and peas, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander and season, then remove from heat and keep potato filling warm.
- Heat a lightly greased crepe pan over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/2 cup batter into the pan, spreading it with the back of the ladle. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden underneath. Spoon one-quarter of the filling over half the pancake, then use a palate knife to turn the uncovered half of the pancake over the filling. Slide onto a warm plate. Repeat with remaining batter and filling to make 4 pancakes.
- To serve, scatter pancakes with mint and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...