Crispy Rice Pancakes with Potato and ChickpeasBen O'Donoghue
- 1/2 cup cooked long-grain rice (from about 40g uncooked rice)
- 1 cup (200g) rice flour
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 potatoes, peeled, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 tbs sunflower oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 200g canned chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas, blanched, refreshed
- 1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Place the rice, rice flour, coconut milk and 1 cup (250ml) water in a food processor and whiz until smooth. Transfer to a jug, season with salt, then cover and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Place the potato in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil over medium-high heat and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Cook cumin, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until onion starts to soften. Add ginger, turmeric and ground coriander and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add potato and chickpeas and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until potato is just golden. Add tomato and peas, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the coriander and season, then remove from heat and keep potato filling warm.
- Heat a lightly greased crepe pan over medium-high heat. Ladle 1/2 cup batter into the pan, spreading it with the back of the ladle. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden underneath. Spoon one-quarter of the filling over half the pancake, then use a palate knife to turn the uncovered half of the pancake over the filling. Slide onto a warm plate. Repeat with remaining batter and filling to make 4 pancakes.
- To serve, scatter pancakes with mint and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...