Crispy Salmon Fish SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 100g glass noodles (bean thread vermicelli)
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced using a vegetable peeler
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 2 eschalots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup coriander sprigs
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 1-2 small red chillies, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 400g salmon fillet with skin-on, pin- boned, cut into 4cm-wide portions
- 2 tbs capers, drained
- Juice of 2 limes, plus wedges to serve
- 1-2 tbs fish sauce, to taste
- Soak noodles in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain and combine with cucumber, spring onion, eschalot, coriander, parsley and chilli in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a wok over high heat. When very hot, add salmon skin-side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes until very crispy.
- Turn the salmon, then remove the skin using tongs and set aside. Start to break the salmon up into 2-3cm pieces with tongs or a fork, and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until it flakes and starts to crisp.
- Add the capers and cook for a further 45 seconds or until crisp.
- Remove salmon and capers with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towel, then season.
- Dress salad with lime juice and fish sauce, then add salmon, capers and fish skin broken into pieces. Toss and serve with extra lime.
Our friends at Wine Selectors have paired this dish with a Jilyara Heath Road Chardonnay 2018 or Howard Park Sauvignon Blanc 2018
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...