Duck with Fennel and Orange SaladKhanh Ong
Pan Seared Duck:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 duck breast
- 200ml orange juice
- 100ml madeira
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 30g butter
Orange and fennel salad:
- 1⁄2 a bulb of fennel shaved
- 2 oranges segmented
- 1⁄4 cup of pomegranate
- 1 cup of watercress
- 1⁄2 red onion sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of walnuts
- Toast all the spices, except the star anise in a dry pan then crush in a mortar and pestle with salt.
- Cross score the skin of the duck and rub the entire breast with spice rub
- Place skin side down in a cold pan on medium heat and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 8-10 minutes on the other side.
- Remove and set aside covered with foil for 10 minutes.
- Pour orange juice, madeira, vinegar, star anise and sugar in the same pan and reduce by 3⁄4
- Add butter and use to sauce to dress the duck.
Orange and fennel salad Method:
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the duck and sauce
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...