Duck with Fennel and Orange SaladKhanh Ong
Pan Seared Duck:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 duck breast
- 200ml orange juice
- 100ml madeira
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 30g butter
Orange and fennel salad:
- 1⁄2 a bulb of fennel shaved
- 2 oranges segmented
- 1⁄4 cup of pomegranate
- 1 cup of watercress
- 1⁄2 red onion sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of walnuts
- Toast all the spices, except the star anise in a dry pan then crush in a mortar and pestle with salt.
- Cross score the skin of the duck and rub the entire breast with spice rub
- Place skin side down in a cold pan on medium heat and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 8-10 minutes on the other side.
- Remove and set aside covered with foil for 10 minutes.
- Pour orange juice, madeira, vinegar, star anise and sugar in the same pan and reduce by 3⁄4
- Add butter and use to sauce to dress the duck.
Orange and fennel salad Method:
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the duck and sauce
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: Serves 4 10 ripe figs 2 long red chillies ½ bunch basil Extra virgin olive oil 4 slices of sour dough bread 50g parmesan cheese 2 whole buffalo mozzarella ½ cup of crème criache Baking paper Method: Grill the chillies on your stovetop to blacken and...
Ingredients: 4 thick pork loin chops skin off 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped 1 stick of rosemary, leaves picked and roughly chopped 4 fresh bay leaves, roughly chopped 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 1/4 cup olive oil 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper Flaky salt Apple...
Ingredients: Serves 6 2 bulbs garlic 6 large chicken thighs, on the bone, skin on 4 long stalks rosemary, sprigs removed (about 20) 1/4 bunch thyme salt and freshly ground black pepper A drizzle of olive oil Approx. 500 ml (17 fl oz/2 cups) Massel https://massel.com/...
Ingredients: Yorkshire Pudding Batter 225gm flour Pinch salt 3 eggs whole 200ml milk 200ml water The Toad 8 course minced pork sausages 4 Streaky bacon rashers 8inch long fresh rosemary sprigs Cracked black pepper Veg oil 1/2 cup The Sauce 1 large brown onion peeled...
Ingredients: 320g semolina plus a little extra 40g greens such as spinach or Tuscan kale Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sea salt and cracked pepper Pesto 1 garlic clove, peeled 20g pine nuts 50g wild rocket 25g parmesan plus a little extra Juice of 1 lemon Method: To make the...
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...