Duck with Fennel and Orange SaladKhanh Ong
Pan Seared Duck:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 duck breast
- 200ml orange juice
- 100ml madeira
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 30g butter
Orange and fennel salad:
- 1⁄2 a bulb of fennel shaved
- 2 oranges segmented
- 1⁄4 cup of pomegranate
- 1 cup of watercress
- 1⁄2 red onion sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of walnuts
- Toast all the spices, except the star anise in a dry pan then crush in a mortar and pestle with salt.
- Cross score the skin of the duck and rub the entire breast with spice rub
- Place skin side down in a cold pan on medium heat and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 8-10 minutes on the other side.
- Remove and set aside covered with foil for 10 minutes.
- Pour orange juice, madeira, vinegar, star anise and sugar in the same pan and reduce by 3⁄4
- Add butter and use to sauce to dress the duck.
Orange and fennel salad Method:
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the duck and sauce
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: 500g fresh broad beans, in their pods 3–4 small fennel bulbs 250g frozen peas, thawed and rinsed 1 red onion, finely sliced 1 cup dill, finely chopped 1⁄2 bunch mint, finely chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish 1⁄2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Let's Go Motorhomes Romesco Sauce: 4 large red peppers 2 garlic cloves 150g ground almonds 100g sun-dried tomatoes in oil 100ml extra virgin olive oil 20ml apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp smoked paprika 1...
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 1 cup Vegetable oil 4 eggs 3 lap cheong sausages, thinly sliced 2 Tbsp XO Sauce 100gm cherry tomatoes, halved ½ red onion, thinly sliced 1 green chilli, thinly sliced ½ cup coriander, roughly chopped Method: Heat oil in a wok over a...
Ingredients: ½ cup dried scallops ½ cup dried shrimp 300ml Shaoxing wine 6 long red chillies, roughly chopped 2 inch piece ginger, peeled, roughly chopped 1 head garlic (10-12 cloves), peeled, roughly chopped 2 large red shallots, roughly chopped 1 large rasher bacon,...
Ingredients: Filling: 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped finely 500g ricotta 1 egg 50g grated parmigiano cheese Sea salt Freshly cracked black pepper 1/3 nutmeg grated Sugo: 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 garlic clove, finely chopped 1 long red...
Ingredients: 100g butter 200g finely grated pecorino cheese Salt Black pepper, freshly ground Pasta Dough: 100g semolina flour 100g plain flour 80ml - 100ml water Pinch of salt Method: Make the pasta dough and allow it to rest for 20 minutes. Cut the dough into long...