Duck with Fennel and Orange SaladKhanh Ong
Pan Seared Duck:
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 1 duck breast
- 200ml orange juice
- 100ml madeira
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 star anise
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 30g butter
Orange and fennel salad:
- 1⁄2 a bulb of fennel shaved
- 2 oranges segmented
- 1⁄4 cup of pomegranate
- 1 cup of watercress
- 1⁄2 red onion sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of walnuts
- Toast all the spices, except the star anise in a dry pan then crush in a mortar and pestle with salt.
- Cross score the skin of the duck and rub the entire breast with spice rub
- Place skin side down in a cold pan on medium heat and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 8-10 minutes on the other side.
- Remove and set aside covered with foil for 10 minutes.
- Pour orange juice, madeira, vinegar, star anise and sugar in the same pan and reduce by 3⁄4
- Add butter and use to sauce to dress the duck.
Orange and fennel salad Method:
- Toss all the ingredients together in a bowl and serve with the duck and sauce
Our friends at Wine Selectors recommend pairing this dish with a Pinot Noir.
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...