Dukkah Crusted Lamb ChopsBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bunches heirloom baby carrots (about 6 baby carrots each, or 4 regular cut into sticks)
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 110g (/1 cup) dukkah
- 12 French trimmed lamb cutlets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g tub of hummus
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 30g (1/2 cup) roughly chopped mixed flat-leaf (Italian) parsley and mint
- 60g (1/4 cup) plain yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic with a pinch of salt into a smooth paste, then add the oil. Toss the carrots with the garlic oil in a bowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and then place the carrots in a single layer and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and drizzle over the molasses and sprinkle with a good pinch of dukkah. Return to the oven to roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non stick frying pan over medium heat no oil needed. Season the lamb cutlets with salt and pepper and cook for about 3–4 minutes, on each side, for medium. Once cooked to your liking, remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up any juices and fat. Using a butter knife to smear each cutlet with hummus and then dip it into the remaining dukkah ensuring that they are well coated.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Toss with the sumac and the chopped herbs. Any left-over hummus can be smeared onto a serving plate with the carrots arranged on top and then dolloped with yoghurt and sprinkled with any left-over herbs. Finally arrange the dukkah lamb cutlets on top.
- These are great on their own as a little party snack, or served with a warm salad of roasted root veg and herbs they make a fuss-free week-night meal.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with The Islander Reserve Bark Hut Road Shiraz Cabernet Franc 2014 or a Springs Road Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...