Dukkah Crusted Lamb ChopsBen O'Donoghue
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bunches heirloom baby carrots (about 6 baby carrots each, or 4 regular cut into sticks)
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 110g (/1 cup) dukkah
- 12 French trimmed lamb cutlets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200g tub of hummus
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 30g (1/2 cup) roughly chopped mixed flat-leaf (Italian) parsley and mint
- 60g (1/4 cup) plain yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic with a pinch of salt into a smooth paste, then add the oil. Toss the carrots with the garlic oil in a bowl.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and then place the carrots in a single layer and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender. Remove from the oven and drizzle over the molasses and sprinkle with a good pinch of dukkah. Return to the oven to roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non stick frying pan over medium heat no oil needed. Season the lamb cutlets with salt and pepper and cook for about 3–4 minutes, on each side, for medium. Once cooked to your liking, remove from the pan onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up any juices and fat. Using a butter knife to smear each cutlet with hummus and then dip it into the remaining dukkah ensuring that they are well coated.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Toss with the sumac and the chopped herbs. Any left-over hummus can be smeared onto a serving plate with the carrots arranged on top and then dolloped with yoghurt and sprinkled with any left-over herbs. Finally arrange the dukkah lamb cutlets on top.
- These are great on their own as a little party snack, or served with a warm salad of roasted root veg and herbs they make a fuss-free week-night meal.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with The Islander Reserve Bark Hut Road Shiraz Cabernet Franc 2014 or a Springs Road Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
Ingredients: Serves 4 12 eggs, best quality you can afford 150ml sparkling water 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper 20g butter 4 thick slices of sourdough, toasted/charred Method: Mix together the eggs, sparkling water, parmesan...
Ingredients: Serves 4 500gm field mushroom finely chopped 2 cups green olives 1/4 bunch mint 1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley 100gm ricotta cheese fresh Lemon juice and zest 1 clove of garlic 2 fresh red chillies Olive oil 1-cup thick cream 100gm Parmesan cheese Method: In...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Salad 1/8 Australian Kent pumpkin, skin on 1 tsp Australian extra virgin olive oil Pinch sea salt Cracked black pepper 4 Australian Jerusalem artichokes Handful Australian green beans 4 Australian prunes ¼ cup Australian pecans 2 tbsp goats...
Ingredients: 1.5kg Pork belly strips or ribs Marinade 5 tbsp ABC Sweet Soy Sauce (Kecap Manis) 1 Lime (zested & juiced) 1 Red chilli (chopped) 20g Palm sugar 1 tsp Yeo’s Pure Sesame oil 2 tsp Lemongrass (finely chopped) 1 tbsp Oil Method: Blend all the marinade...
Ingredients: 1kg of chuck, flank, shin or brisket trimmed and cut into 3cm cubes 2 clove of garlic 1 small bunch of thyme 1 tspn of black peppercorns 500ml Guinness or dark ale 8 shallots peeled 1 tbsp vegemite 500gm bought puff pastry 100gm Stilton blue cheese or...
Ingredients: 4-6 streaky pork belly cutlets, skin removed, cutlets cut into strips 5 cm thick Marinade 2 onions, finely chopped 10 garlic cloves, crushed 2 cm piece fresh ginger, finely chopped 250 ml (1 cup) kochujang (Korean chilli paste) 4 tablespoons sugar 2...