Fermented CauliflowerMandy Hall & Warren Mendes
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, outer leaves removed and retained, cauliflower chopped into florets.
- 1 clove of garlic – peeled & sliced in half
- 1 tsp of sultanas or raisins (optional)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup warm filtered water
- Sea Salt – 2% of the total weight of ingredients, including the water.
- If total ingredients weigh 500g – 500g x 2% =10g salt (see notes)
- Apple weight option – 1/2 apple slice horizontally through the middle.
- Make sure your jar and lid are washed, clean and dry.
- Keep Cauliflower leaves for another recipe.
- Dissolve salt by whisking it along curry powder and turmeric into the warm water and set aside.
- Place cauliflower florets, black peppercorns, garlic and raisins/sultanas into jar, add the 1/4 cup of water with spices, add additional water and fill, leaving an inch of headroom from the top. Ensure that all ingredients are kept underneath the saltwater brine by weighing down with a half apple or suitable weight. Lid your jar with either an airlock lid or a sturdy jar lid.
- Place your Cauliflower ferment in a spot at room temp & out of direct sunlight; fermentation will begin, and you should start to see some activity within two days; after day 2, please burp the jar each day until you have finished fermenting. Once ready (anywhere from 7 days to 14 days), discard the apple or remove the weight, place the lidded jar into the fridge and enjoy as desired; it will last for approximately three months.
- Make sure all of the equipment has been washed and is clean and dry before use. Make sure the jar is a good strong glass jar.
- Salt – please use natural sea salt.
- This Cauliflower pickle is an anaerobic ferment – we want to keep the oxygen out; airlocks are the perfect way to do this. Airlocks stop oxygen from getting in but allow any gases to escape. Alternatively, a lidded jar also works very well; you will need to gently “burp” the jar each day after day 2 in this case.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Semillon.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...