Gai Yang with Thai Cucumber and Fennel SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 4 coriander roots, washed, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 Asian red eschalots*, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs freshly grated turmeric* or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup (60-80ml) fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 tbs grated palm sugar* (or to taste)
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets with skin on
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Cucumber & Fennel Salad
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4-6 small red or green chillies, chopped
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, quartered
- 2 tbs dried shrimp*, soaked in 1/3 cup boiling water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice (or to taste)
- 2 tbs fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate* (or to taste)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut lengthways into long strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 small pineapple, cut into long thin slices
- 1 cup mint leaves, torn
- 120g green beans, cut into 2.5cm lengths (about 1 cup chopped beans)
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- For the chicken, using a mortar and pestle or food processor, crush or process coriander root, garlic, eschalot, chilli and turmeric. Add pepper, fish sauce and palm sugar. Crush or process to a coarse paste. Adjust fish sauce and palm sugar to taste.
- Place chicken and marinade in a large dish and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, for the salad, pound the garlic, chilli, tomato and soaked shrimp in a mortar with a pestle. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and tamarind, adjusting them if necessary to get the right balance of sour and salty flavours.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill on medium heat. Cook chicken, turning frequently, for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Serve the chicken with the salad and steamed rice.
* From Asian food shops. Asian eschalots and fresh turmeric are also from selected greengrocers. Use gloves when handling fresh turmeric to prevent staining.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 2 heads broccoli 1 large leek, halved lengthwise, rinsed 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 head garlic, unpeeled 4 cups (1L) chicken or vegetable stock 120g baby spinach leaves 125g sour cream, plus extra to serve Chilli flakes & herbs, such as basil,...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations Ingredients: 2 pieces Shimeji mushroom (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Red capsicum (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Zucchini (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Eggplant (thinly sliced) 2 pieces Sweet potato...
Ingredients: 30ml Vegetable oil 1 tin of chopped tomatoes 3 small red onions, 1 sliced, 2 roughly chopped 1 Red Scotch bonnet, finely chopped 100g Tomato paste 2 Tsp curry powder 1 Tsp Thyme, Fresh preferably but dried will also work 2 Bay leaves 1lt Chicken...
Ingredients:For pastry: 225g Plain Flour 100g Butter, unsalted (Make sure it’s really cold!) 4 Tbsp water, chilled For Filling: 250ml Cream 2 Large Eggs 200g Gaunchalie (or bacon) 1 Brown Onion, diced 100g Heritage baby tomatoes (halved) 125g Gruyère cheese 50g...
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Ocean Spray Ingredients: 400g Venison Loin 1 Carrot chopped 1 Brown onion, diced 1 Bay Leaf 2 Sprigs Rosemary 1 Bulb Garlic 1 Glass Red wine 1 Tbsp Tomato paste 700ml Beef Stock 100g Dark chocolate ...
Ingredients: 100g self raising flour 1 egg 3 tbs sour cream 2 tins corn ½ bunch coriander 1 bunch spring onions 2 avocados 1 shallot 1 long red chilli 2 limes Method: n a mixing bowl, combine your egg, the tinned corn, ½ a shallot, sour cream and flour together,...