Gai Yang with Thai Cucumber and Fennel SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 4 coriander roots, washed, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 Asian red eschalots*, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs freshly grated turmeric* or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup (60-80ml) fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 tbs grated palm sugar* (or to taste)
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets with skin on
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Cucumber & Fennel Salad
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4-6 small red or green chillies, chopped
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, quartered
- 2 tbs dried shrimp*, soaked in 1/3 cup boiling water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice (or to taste)
- 2 tbs fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate* (or to taste)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut lengthways into long strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 small pineapple, cut into long thin slices
- 1 cup mint leaves, torn
- 120g green beans, cut into 2.5cm lengths (about 1 cup chopped beans)
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- For the chicken, using a mortar and pestle or food processor, crush or process coriander root, garlic, eschalot, chilli and turmeric. Add pepper, fish sauce and palm sugar. Crush or process to a coarse paste. Adjust fish sauce and palm sugar to taste.
- Place chicken and marinade in a large dish and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, for the salad, pound the garlic, chilli, tomato and soaked shrimp in a mortar with a pestle. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and tamarind, adjusting them if necessary to get the right balance of sour and salty flavours.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill on medium heat. Cook chicken, turning frequently, for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Serve the chicken with the salad and steamed rice.
* From Asian food shops. Asian eschalots and fresh turmeric are also from selected greengrocers. Use gloves when handling fresh turmeric to prevent staining.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 4 Spicy Italian Sausages Packet of Farfalle Pasta 1 Leek 1 Carrot 1 Onion 2 Garlic 2 cups Shredded Cabbage 1 Chopped Silver Beet 1 400gm Tinned Beans 1 tsp Cumin powder 1 tsp Coriander powder 1tsp Paprika powder 2 tbsp Tomato Paste Stock of your choice...
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian InspirationsIngredients:Serves: 8 Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Main Ingredients: 1 packet rice paper 150g rice vermicelli noodles 1 bunch coriander 1 bunch Thai basil 1 bunch mint 1 bunch garlic chives 1⁄4...
Ingredients: 2 puff pastry sheets 2 Tbsp vegemite 2 cups cheddar cheese grated Method: Spread vegemite over pastry sheets and top with cheese. Lightly roll each pastry up into a log and cut each log into 8 slices. Place 4 slices (sliced side up) in each Sunbeam Pie...
Ingredients: Chicken Thigh mince 1 egg Bread soaked in milk Grated parmesan Chopped parsely Spaghetti Breadcrumbs Salt & Pepper Sauce Celery Carrot Onion Olive oil Bay lead 2 tins of whole or chopped tomatoes Method: In a mixing bowl add in your chicken thigh...
Ingredients: 1 cup vegetable oil 1 cinnamon stick 3 star anise 2 tbs schizuan peppercorns 2 bay leaves 1/4 cup crushed red chilli/pepper flakes Method: In a small pot, heat the oil with the all the spices, bar the chilli flakes, on a low to medium heat for about 20...
Ingredients: 500g of kingfish or snapper fillets, skin off Juice from 6 limes 1 ripped mango 1 medium Lebanese cucumber 1/4 red onion Juice from 1 orange 1 jalapeño chilli 1 small yellow capsicum 10 mint leaves Salt and pepper to taste 200g corn tortillas chips...