Gai Yang with Thai Cucumber and Fennel SaladBen O'Donoghue
- 4 coriander roots, washed, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4 Asian red eschalots*, roughly chopped
- 1 small red chilli, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs freshly grated turmeric* or 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbs freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup (60-80ml) fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 1/2 tbs grated palm sugar* (or to taste)
- 4 chicken thigh cutlets with skin on
- Steamed jasmine rice, to serve
Cucumber & Fennel Salad
- 2-3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 4-6 small red or green chillies, chopped
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, quartered
- 2 tbs dried shrimp*, soaked in 1/3 cup boiling water for 10 minutes, drained
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice (or to taste)
- 2 tbs fish sauce (or to taste)
- 2 tsp tamarind concentrate* (or to taste)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut lengthways into long strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 small pineapple, cut into long thin slices
- 1 cup mint leaves, torn
- 120g green beans, cut into 2.5cm lengths (about 1 cup chopped beans)
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts, roughly chopped
- For the chicken, using a mortar and pestle or food processor, crush or process coriander root, garlic, eschalot, chilli and turmeric. Add pepper, fish sauce and palm sugar. Crush or process to a coarse paste. Adjust fish sauce and palm sugar to taste.
- Place chicken and marinade in a large dish and toss to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, for the salad, pound the garlic, chilli, tomato and soaked shrimp in a mortar with a pestle. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce and tamarind, adjusting them if necessary to get the right balance of sour and salty flavours.
- Heat a barbecue or chargrill on medium heat. Cook chicken, turning frequently, for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss to combine. Serve the chicken with the salad and steamed rice.
* From Asian food shops. Asian eschalots and fresh turmeric are also from selected greengrocers. Use gloves when handling fresh turmeric to prevent staining.
For chef quality results, we recommend using Anolon cookware!
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...